A Thunderclap of Judgement

2-min read.

The house was dingy and the walls black and dusty. It was an old church hall that had been neglected for three years following a harsh rebellion.

We, the few who had heeded the comeback call, sat pensively on the grimmy pews listening to Mr. Pawel release his gems of wisdom, one at a time.

Meanwhile, outside, the wind hauled and moaned, and thick thunderheads hanged low signaling a looming storm.

The man did not give it a flying puck. He read from 2 Peter 3:10 that spoke about the Lord’s second coming. The verse stated with clarity: “The day of the Lord will come like a thief. The heavens will disappear with a roar; the elements will be destroyed by fire, and the earth and everything done in it will be laid bare.”

Mr. Pawel moved up and down the apse, affirming how he was boldly waiting for that day, and encouraged all of us to be brave too.

As he continued to elaborate, however, a red flash of lightning occured across the roof, followed by the loudest thunderclap anyone in the countryside had ever heard, probably in a century. Mr. Pawel was caught unaware. He quickly threw away the Bible and hid below one of the pews, cursing himself for the things he had done that led to the schism.

“Oh, so he was a sinner too,” I heard someone whisper behind me.

Then I heard some who thought it funny laugh and pour scorn on him.

I remained calm, sympathising with the man for still not having faith in the things he taught.

The rain began to pour immediately.

1. ivor20 says:

And the rain shall keep pouring down … Felix ..

“And what did you hear, my blue-eyed son?
    And what did you hear, my darling young one?
    I heard the sound of a thunder, that roared out a warnin’
    I heard the roar of a wave that could drown the whole world
    I heard one hundred drummers whose hands were a-blazin’
    I heard ten thousand whisperin’ and nobody listenin’
    I heard one person starve, I heard many people laughin’
    Heard the song of a poet who died in the gutter
    Heard the sound of a clown who cried in the alley
    And it’s a hard, it’s a hard, it’s a hard, it’s a hard
    It’s a hard rain’s a-gonna fall” … Bob Dylan

1. Oh… my… goodness!! What a gratifying poem to post as a comment to my post, Ivor. Just my post. Oh, I can’t state in enough words how charmed and honoured I am. In deed, the rain is now falling and shall fall on many. Thank you so much for the heartening comment and poem in one. πŸ₯‚for such a great poem. It filled my heart with admiration. You’re indeed a great poet.

1. ivor20 says:

Oh .. it’s Bob Dylan at his best my friend 😊🌏

2. M’hmm.. so great! I couldn’t agree more. πŸ€—πŸ˜Š

2. DAP says:

Well done! Bravo!!!!

1. Than you so much, DAP. I’m very glad you enjoyed this one. 😊

It is a fact that most times we ourselves don’t believe what we preach and it is high time e change that. Nice one Lam it’s always refreshing to read your post. πŸ’–

1. Thank you many times, Daph. It’s gratifying beyond words that you liked and could resonate with my post. It’s glad tidings to me always, to see you around. πŸ’–β€πŸŒ·

It’s always a pleasure Lam, always glad to read your words and be part of it. πŸ’–

2. You are as warm as the sun at midmorning
        As graceful as a swan, as gentle as the moon , as charming as an eel
        Your words are a satisfaction to my learning
        and your presence, divine… and near as the sand below a wheel
        Oh wonderful, Daph, an inspiration and a blessing,
        to me and to mankind as a whole.

Ever so grateful, dear.

Aww.. How sweet of you, I am overwhelmed by all the love from you. This has been the highlight of my year. Thank you so much dear Lam, you are amazing. πŸ’–πŸ’–πŸ’–πŸ’–

4. Yes, that’s your new year poem from me. Keep writing, keep inspiring lives, dear. And thanks for the compliment too. πŸ€—β€β€πŸŒ·

Thank you so very much πŸ₯° I will for sure 😊❀️
        Its a great pleasure ❀️❀️

6. πŸ’–β€πŸŒ·πŸ˜˜

This is the first piece of flash fiction I have read from you and I love the gorgeous language and lyrical emotion throughout, down the resounding last line.

1. Oh my dear Jaya… those words have found a soft spot in my heart. To hear you say such encouraging and kind words certainly warms the cockles of my heart, dear. Thank you so so much. πŸ€πŸ’–πŸ’–

5. I like how you have multiple genres here, from poetry to fiction to non-fiction. This was a great piece with good use of the language. Do keep writing and sharing!

1. Thank you so much, Stuart. It’s absolutely heartening to receive your warm compliments. Thanks for the motivation as well. 🀝😊

Brilliantly done, Lamittan! This is intense and atmospheric, with a strong sense of place in the dilapidated building during the thunderstorm. In such a short piece you’ve created a memorable character who seems both foolish and sympathetic. This was a delight to read. A job well done, my friend! πŸ™‚

1. Oh Mike, thank you so much for such gratifying words, my friend. I’m pleased you enjoyed it. Really I’m grateful for the warm review. πŸ™‚

7. a short concise poem created brilliantly with great emotion! πŸ’–πŸ’–πŸ‘

1. Thank you so much. πŸ’–πŸ˜Š. Glad to wake up to your inspiring comments this morning, dear.

1. So happy to hear. Not sure How I missed all of these but I’m heading to read some more now! πŸ’–

2. Much appreciated. Maybe you should cinsider tapping my site notification bell, just suggesting. Many thanks as you continue to read, dear. πŸ’–πŸ’–

3. of course. Honey, my bells ring off the hook over here otherwise I would. I’m in the dog house as it is. πŸ€£πŸ€—

4. πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ€£πŸ€— You’re tickling my funny bone, darling. You’re excused πŸ€£πŸ’–β€

5. oh glad at that… thanks my dear! πŸ’–πŸ’–πŸ’–πŸ€£πŸ€£πŸ€—