The day in my childhood I vowed never to eat raw mangoes again

Yey!! ๐Ÿ˜Š The weekend’s here everybody. I hope you had a fantastic week. Welcome to our weekly funspot, a little tour to the moon, right? Here we go. ๐ŸŒœ๐Ÿ‘จโ€๐Ÿฆฏ๐Ÿ‘จโ€๐Ÿฆผ๐Ÿƒ๐Ÿƒโ€โ™€๏ธ

Today I had some early childhood memories, particularly one about eating raw mangoes ๐Ÿซ’๐Ÿซ’ while going to or coming back from school, too much alcohol for our bellies you would say ๐Ÿ˜–๐Ÿ˜‚. No wonder we used to feel drowsy during lessons, oh man!! ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚. But eating raw mangoes with chillies and salt was the best snack our times, as Africans who grew up in the boondocks of course.

It goes then that there was this specific farm whose trees we loved to pick from (well, I wouldn’t call it stealing, we were only kids and thought all the mangoes in the village had been grown for us ๐Ÿ˜„). The mangoes from these trees were very sweet both raw and ripe.

But the owner of the farm was as cruel as a ravenous bear, one with a sore head in fact ๐Ÿ˜€. And the only relief was that the mango farm was outside his homestead. So we’d time when he wasn’t on the lookout and pick just as many as we could.

One evening, however, he gave us a rude shock. My friend Kevin and I had just come back from school and were really ‘hungry’ for the mangoes. So we passed quickly across the fence into the farm and went for one tree that was closer. We headed up straight and diverted to different branches.

It was late evening and slightly dark within the leaves. The only sound that came forth was of the wind passing through and hitting gently upon the leaves. I soon enough spotted a raw fruit close to me and would have picked it when I felt something hold me firmly. ๐Ÿ˜ฎ

I didn’t even turn to check, I just opened my mouth and screamed blue murder. All the myths I had read about giants and pythons living on mango trees had just arrested my thoughts and sent shivers down my spine.

“Stop screaming, child. It’s me,” came forth a gentle voice amidst my scream. I turned sharply and took a glance. Oh satannn, it was the man, the owner of the farm ๐Ÿ™€! I almost passed out, but he held me firmly and looked directly into my eyes. I thought he was going to drag out a knife and skin me alive as I watched.

A few seconds elapsed and then…

“Is it mangoes that you want, kid?” I heard him ask, my mind far away. What sort of question was that, I thought. It was mangoes I wanted of course. “Is it?” he reiterated.

“Yes, yes sir, but…,” I began, abruptly shaken off the trance, but he sternly cut me off.

“Well, take it.” He thrust a polythene-bag full of who-knows into my hands and let me free. I remained staring blankly from the bag to him, back and forth.

“Go, child, go,” he said, “and tell your friends to allow my mangoes time to ripen.”

I sighed deeply, looked sideways to see whether I’d catch a glimpse of Kevin, and seeing him not, began racing down the tree with the bag in one hand.

Kevin was nowhere to be seen. He had probably taken advantage of the man’s attention towards me to escape. He was quite a chicken, I thought as I made my way out of the farm.

When I opened the bag and checked what was in it, I found ripe juicy mangoes piling on top of each other ๐Ÿฅญ๐Ÿคค๐Ÿ˜‹. That was enough for a three-day trek to and from school. I vowed never to ‘steal’ raw mangoes again. But did I?๐Ÿคฃ๐Ÿคฃ

Thanks for reading. Have a fabulous weekend.

๐ŸŒท๐ŸŒท๐ŸŒท

Polite note to my readers: I’ve received complaints of readers being unable to like and comment on my post on their phone through “Reader”. This has been happening despite I making no deliberate changes to my privacy and discussion settings. I have reached out to WordPress team for assistance. Kindly bear with me and visit my site to like and post comments for the time being as I get this issue solved. Thank you. โค

What an adventure, fraught with fear and the dread of being caught! This played out like a min-movie in my mind as I read it. Fun times, and I’m glad you survived this ordeal, Lamittan! ๐Ÿ˜€

1. Thank you so much, Mike. I’m glad you enjoyed it, my friend. I too was relieved when I the man let me go free. ๐Ÿ˜„

Edit: “mini-movie”

Haha… I am pretty sure you did it again. ๐Ÿ˜‚ This was quite a delightful memory. ๐Ÿ˜…

1. ๐Ÿคฃ๐Ÿคฃ of course there was no way to. Eating raw mangoes had become a peer pressure thing! ๐Ÿคฃ๐Ÿคฃ But we suddenly stopped when we grew up and moved to different high schools. I’m glad you enjoyed, Daph. Thank you for taking time to read and comment.

I thought so too. ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚
        Mine was sitting right infront of the teacher and eating sweets. ๐Ÿ˜‚
        You’re welcome Lam, it was a pleasure to read.

2. Eating sweets ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚ actually at the front, you wouldn’t even be easily identified ๐Ÿ˜„. It’s just amazing and intriguing what kids do! ๐Ÿคฃ

Exactly, I use to eat sweets right under the teachers nose while they were too busy dealing with the back benchers. ๐Ÿคฃ๐Ÿคฃ๐Ÿคฃ๐Ÿคฃ
        But those were good memories. ๐Ÿ˜‚

4. Most teachers used to think back benchers were the most indisciplined in class, don’t know where they got that belief from. ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚ Those days are worth our memories indeed!

Which is not that much wrong, I sat in first bench cos I need glasses to see from back and I hates wearing glasses those times. ๐Ÿคฃ

6. Not bad at all. Oh, I too used to love sitting in front so I could see the writings on the chalkboard properly. From elementary school all the way to college I sat right in front. ๐Ÿค—๐Ÿ˜€

Here I thought you were a back bencher. ๐Ÿ˜œ๐Ÿ˜‚

8. ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚ No i’ve never sat at the back except one time when I arrived late for class and found the front seats all occupied. ๐Ÿ˜…โค

Haha… For a 1st liner you do sound like a back bencher. ๐Ÿ˜…

10. Hahaha… yes, especially so when i remember how we used to steal and eat raw mangoes and feel drowsy in class. It was an amazingly tough experience. My friends at the back were easily spotted sleeping, hah ๐Ÿคฃ๐Ÿคฃ

Haha… Tough luck for them. ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚
        I don’t remember stealing mangoes but I use to sneak out a lot from hostel to buy snacks. ๐Ÿ˜‚

12. Yeah, at least everyone has some fond memories of their childhood. ๐Ÿ’–

Ohh I have way too much, my family haven’t stop talking of all the things I did every family feast. ๐Ÿ˜‚

14. ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚ You must have been pesky, just as any kid is ๐Ÿ˜…. That phase is important. They who are irksome when young become gentle and cordial when grown up, just as you now are. ๐Ÿ’–

That I am very much and by your mango stealing story I am sure you are as well. ๐Ÿ˜‚
        Aww.. Thank you but the child in me still lives. ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ’–

16. M’hhhm.. ๐Ÿคฃ i guess itโ€™s the beautiful side of that child lives. Yes, I’m certainly a different person ๐Ÿ˜„ The mango stealing peer pressure was a nice thing though, i do miss the moments, huh ๐Ÿ˜…๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ’–

One’s never too old to steal mangoes. ๐Ÿ˜œ

18. ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚ ey! I give up. Heheh. It only city life that bars us off, dear. Otherwise, stolen things, especially back in the boondocks, taste sweet. ๐Ÿ˜‹

Haha… Truly said. ๐Ÿ˜… Imagine getting bared for stealing mangoes. ๐Ÿ˜‚

20. Imagine! Mangoes that cost only a few coins!! It can be so shameful ๐Ÿฅฒ๐Ÿ˜‚

Haha… Yeah that would be totally shameful. ๐Ÿ˜‚

22. For sure ๐Ÿ˜„๐Ÿ’–

But the it would make one heck of a topic ๐Ÿคฃ

24. Such a big one indeed. Mhmm… I tell you, people would say all they’ve ever thought about you ๐Ÿคฃ

O that’s for sure, and the one common thing they would say is “I always knew that boy/girl was no good from the start” ๐Ÿ˜‚

26. ๐Ÿคฃ๐Ÿคฃ๐Ÿ˜… Imagine! Which begs the question, why would one go into a dark pit that they can clearly see? ๐Ÿค” It’s a wonder Daph, isn’t it? There’s quite a lot for the heart to learn while still pumping, and the learning should begin early. ๐Ÿ˜€

27. People just love talking ill about their fellows. It stresses the mind๐Ÿคฆโ€โ™‚๏ธ

Yes there is much more for the heart to learn. ๐Ÿ˜

4. Jeffry Thompson says:

This is breathtakingly interesting, lil brother. You had an amazing childhood, I see. Keep writing โœ

1. Thank you so much, Jeff my sen brother ๐Ÿ™ Your support is invaluable

1. Jeffry Thompson says:

Welcome.

An amusing and lovely story fraught with feels!

1. O thank you so much, Jaya. I’m very much pleased you enjoyed it, dear. ๐Ÿ’–

6. What a great story! I’d have been right in there picking mangoes with you. And what a scare. The farmer knew what he was doing. A kind man too, after all. ๐Ÿ™‚

1. Thank you, D. Wallace, for taking time to read leave such a gratifying comment. Yes, the farmer must have choreographed this so well. I’m glad you’d have enjoyed the experience with me. ๐Ÿค—๐Ÿซ’

7. Great Story Lamitta caught red handed with your friend who was bock bock bock. I hope you remind him. Lovely symbolism. I can’t wait to hear part two! ๐Ÿ’–๐ŸŒท๐Ÿ™๐Ÿ‘

1. He was bock in fact๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚. Oh sorry, there’s no part two, dear. ๐Ÿ˜‚ i too wished there was a part two of it, unless I forge something ๐Ÿ˜†๐Ÿ˜‚ Yes, I will always keep reminding him. And thank you so much. You’ve made my day by your heart-warming comments. โคโค๐Ÿค—

1. ๐Ÿคฃ๐Ÿคฃ๐Ÿคฃ Indeed. Oh I thought you said we’ll see if you ever stopped stealing…
        Tell Kevin now the whole world knows. hahahahaha.
        Oh Yayyyy. . your wish is my command. ๐Ÿ’–

2. ๐Ÿ˜†๐Ÿ˜„๐Ÿคฃto us it wasnโ€™t stealing in the least way possible ๐Ÿคฃ, we just thought ALL THE MANGOES IN THE VILLAGE were ours as kids ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚. So we ‘stole’ ’em ๐Ÿ˜†๐Ÿ˜…. Imma now have think about bringing Kevin along to tell us his side of the story, how he slipped off and whether he ever stopped stealing raw mangoes, ๐Ÿ˜‚ the whole world must continue knowing. โคโค๐Ÿค—

8. A great way to start my morning. I laughed all the way through this. It took me back to so many fond memories of childhood.

1. My dear Phyllis, ain’t that charming and sweet of you to say! I’m glad it made some good gags for you. It’s nice to share our laughter ๐Ÿ˜„. Many thanks to you for reading and leaving such a beautiful comment. ๐Ÿ’–

9. Beaton says:

There’s mango trees in my backyard… This last season it has taken a long time to ripen they are usually ripe in December I guess it’s the effects of climate change

Anyway I have had to chase away neighbouring kids who climb over the fence to pick out the green mangoes and feast on them with salt and chillies, looks like the tradition isn’t limited to your childhood alone

I keep asking them to at least wait until they ripen๐Ÿคฃ

~B

1. Wow, see ๐Ÿ˜€.. the tradition’s been carried down to this recent generation, hah. It’s just what kids do. In fact, the more you send ’em away, the more they feel your mangoes taste sweeter than other unripe mangoes elsewhere. ๐Ÿ˜‚ It’s just how the mind of humans work.

10. Jeffry Thompson says:

๐Ÿคฃ๐Ÿคฃ Such a fuuny piece, lil brother. Your childhood was filled with humour.

1. I’m absolutely elated you found fun in my writing. Tis true, my childhood was so full of fun. ๐Ÿ˜…

1. Jeffry Thompson says:

Pleasure.

11. What an adventure!
    But even the experiences that made you feel a little uncomfortable at the time, in the memory become sweeter, like ripe mangoes

1. Sure it does, dear Luisa. I’m glad you liked this. And thanks for your gratifying comment. ๐Ÿ’•๐ŸŒŸ๐ŸŒŸ๐Ÿ’•โค

1. You are welcome.
        Enjoy the remainder of your weekend.

2. My pleasure. You too, my friend.

3. ๐Ÿ™๐Ÿ™๐Ÿ™