From The Allied Brothers

Thursday, 20 February 2014

10:53PM.

Dear Jennifer,

I woke up to some sad news today. Edith Alison, one of the two nurses who attended to me at Moderncare Private Hospital, has passed on. Her body was found dumped in a bush at Manyatta Estate. Her counterpart, Faith Earnington, who was with her at the time they left the hospital has written a statement at the police station in Manyatta.

I called her to pass my condolences when I heard the sad news on radio in the morning. She told me that a gang attacked them yesterday evening, barely two kilometres from the hospital, and kidnapped Edith. They live on the same plot here in Milimani Estate and had boarded the same motorcycle home when they were attacked.

She said her phone had died down, thus she could not call the police. But she went to the nearest police station and reported. The cops tried to locate the gang on their devices in vain. It seemed they had destroyed Edith’s cellphone and taken other routes all together.

I would have gone to Edith’s place to pass my condolences in person but I had another visitor in the course of the day. A man who introduced himself as Tiger, and a closs friend of Georgie, said he wanted to talk to me. I told the gatekeeper to allow him in and stay around the house till the man had left, just in case there was anything peculiar coming.

“I am sorry for bothering you at this time of the day, Mrs Argwins, but I had to come to you at once. There is a message from the Allied Brothers…,” he began explaining the moment he sat down. His hair was unkempt and a horrible stench seemed to emanate from beneath his clothes.

“What? The Allied Brothers? What is that?” I cut him off.

“Well, it’s a powerful organisation whose real name and members I’m not worthy to mention.”

“What? You’re confusing me even more. Please cut to the chase, will you?”

“It’s not time for you to know yet. Listen, this is the message. You’ve been warned to distance yourself from the remaining nurse, to say nothing to her or anyone else about the… the gold ring or anything related to it.”

“The gold ring? So you are the people behind this mysterious gold ring in my house, mmh?”

The mysterious gold ring possessed by George. It kept appearing and disappearing.

“In fact, you should cease seeking medical attention at Moderncare Private Hospital,” he proceeded, as if he had not heard the question I just asked him.

“Didn’t I ask you a question, Tiger? What has your organisation got to do with the gold ring?”

“I’m sorry, Mrs Argwins. I’m not at liberty to say anything beyond what I have said to you. I’m just a messenger.”

“Okay. Tell the people who sent you to go to hell.”

“Sorry… . Mrs Argwins, let me ask you a question, do you understand power?”

“Power what? You’ve just come to scare me in my house after losing a close friend, you bastard. Get out of my house.” I was beginning to rattle my cot out of the pram.

“Okay. I’ll be gone in two shakes,” he said, standing. He made a slouch in front of me and left.

Linda, the voice speaking in the diary.

You know me, dear sister; I do not fancy being threatened by someone who is not related to me by any means. Such are the things that turn on my rare temper. In fact, if the man had stayed any longer, I would have hit him so hard with a stool. I do not play with looming furnaces. Not at all.

When Georgie came home in the evening, I did not spare him anymore, like I had done the previous days when I worshipped him like God. There was a precarious situation that had to be nipped in the bud. In fact, I did not even wait for him to get into the house without greeting me. I stopped him right at the door.

“Wai-wai-wait! Stop right there, Georgie,” I jumped up and stood on his way. The unexpected mention of his name and my new reaction after fifteen years in marriage stupefied him. That was not me, I know he must have told himself. He remained rooted one step into the house and stared at me with a great measure of disbelief written on his face.

“Which organisation is this that you’ve thrown us all into, Georgie?” I went on. “Eeh? Tell me. After we’ve been in marriage for this long, you can still keep off something from me! I need to know about this Allied Brothers thing right away.”

At the mention of the name “Allied Brothers” his gazes quickly turned acerbic. He pushed me aside and walked into the bedroom, leaving me shaking my head and clicking myself in anger and discontent.

George, Linda’s husband.

“Do as they have said,” I heard him say from the bedroom. I went to the bedroom’s door, and leaning against it, asked, “So you planned for this, eeh?” He did not reply. He came to the door and gave me a sneck posset. I did not bother him again. I was tired of his negative and non-collaborative reactions.

He did not take his tea as usual after bathing. He simply picked up his coat and staff and walked out.

It is now 23:43hrs and he has not returned, dear sister. I am worried about his safety. I am lying in my bed in complete turmoil. The complexities sorrounding this piece of shiny jewel that found space in my house a week ago have now rendered me flustered.

Linda.

***

This is an excerpt from The Wicked Gold Ring by Lamittan Minsah (Entry 8 of the diary novel). To read the novel and discover the great unfolding around the gold ring and The Allied Brothers, simply click here.

This sounds interesting, I am definitely gonna read it through the night for sure. πŸ™‚πŸ’–
    #I still don’t get any of your post in my readers page. πŸ˜”

1. Thank you, Daph. Oh, it’s really hurting me too. πŸ₯² I’ve been trying to engage one of the happiness engineers about it. I hope things will work soon. Thanks for letting me know the status. πŸ€”πŸŒΊπŸ’–

You’re most welcome Lam! Hope the problem gets solved soon. By the way I started reading your story and I loved it. ❀️

2. Holy catfish! What a great measure of joy to wake up to this morning. Oh my dear Daphny, can’t find enough words to say thank you. From deep inside me, thanks for your support, dear. Aren’t you an amazing person to relate with!! πŸ’–πŸŒΊπŸ’– And yes, there’s an engineer working on the issue, and I just hope they will get it done soon. Many thanks. πŸ’–

It is my great pleasure dear, my support will always go out to you. Keep shinning and keep being amazing. ❀️
        Hope it all gets sort out soon. πŸ€—β€οΈπŸŒΈ

4. Much appreciated, dear. Um… well, I’m engaging them inasmuch as they seem to see nothing wrong, which souds worrying to me. How I hope with all manner of hope that they get to the bottom of it and help!! πŸŒΊπŸ’–

I’m sure they will till then will come visit your home page to read your post. πŸ™‚πŸ’–

6. Aww, so fond of you to say, Daph dear. Yeah, actually, they’ve even checked my pages and said they found some glitches. Could you kindly check for me if there’s some change now?

Yeah there is some change now.

8. Wow, thank you for checking, dearie πŸ’–πŸŒΊ. Are the like and comment buttons working?

Anytime Lam. πŸ€— Yeah they work perfectly. πŸ‘Œ

10. Amazing. Oh, that makes me happy now. I now just hope when I make another post, the glitches won’t come back πŸ˜…. Thanks really, if it weren’t for you I wouldn’t have known my site had such a costly issue. πŸ€—

I hope so too, lets way for your next post to find out 😁 No worries dear I’m just happy to help. πŸ€—πŸ’–

12. Sure. πŸŒΊπŸŒΊπŸ’–

This is fine writing, Lamittan. I was drawn in immediately and held fast the entire time. This excerpt leaves me wanting to know more. Believable characters and dialogue seem to be your forte’ and this excerpt doesn’t disappoint in that regard. Also, I learned a new term: “sneck posset.” Fascinating! Well done, good sir! πŸ™‚

1. Yes, I try as much as I can to make my works sound natural. Oh, thank you for noting. You’ve said exactly what often lingers in my mind as i write. I’m glad you enjoyed this piece and learnt something new. Many thanks to you for your presence, reading and comments, my friend Mike. πŸ€—

Wow, wonderful writing, Lamittan. I too will read more. Have a blessed week, my dear friend. πŸ’–.

1. Many thanks to you, my friend Jeff. I’m glad you’re reading and will be reading still. Have a blessed week too. πŸ™

You’re most welcome, my dear friend. Always. Thank you. πŸ™

2. πŸ™πŸŒΊπŸŒΊπŸ’–

4. Mashi says:

Sample Comment.

5. A great story my friend.. I’ll be back to finish.. long day and early start.. but love what I’ver read so far! πŸ’–πŸ’–. you know me.. some of my ducks are floating away.. 🀣

1. Oh Cindy.. πŸ˜ŠπŸ˜‚! I get it, dear. Have an awsome moment and haapy reading. Thanks for taking time through, and for ya kind words.

1. It’s always a pleasure!~ πŸ’–