The Last Cow

Yey!! πŸ˜€The weekend’s here everybody. πŸ”πŸΉπŸ₯‚πŸ¨πŸ– πŸ›΅πŸŠβ€β™‚οΈβ›Ήβ€β™‚οΈ As always, it’s time to eat and drink and take ourselves on a little tour to the moon. Let’s go. πŸŒœπŸ§‘β€πŸ¦―πŸ‘¨β€πŸ¦½πŸƒβ€β™€οΈπŸƒ.

Weekends are a great time to reconnect with family and friends, and to go partying if you’re a social butterfly, or to turn the pages of that novel you’ve often craved for, or watch a movie if you’re a movie aficionado like me… time to do just anything usefully relieving. But before you turn off your data to spend some time away, let’s have some fun together, shall we? 😊🀝

It’s weekend; time to eat and drink and take ourselves on a little tour to the moon.

I love talking about my childhood memories because, for some reason, they hold a dear space in my heart. Today’s tour is about a cow that contributed to the person I am today. Don’t you want to know how? πŸ˜ƒπŸ€—

Well, it goes that when I was in high school, form four (the final class in that level in my country, back then), we had only one cow in our home and her two-year old heifer. The rest had been sold to carter for our school fees.

Her name was Phoebe and I loved her so much because not only was she the only physical wealth left standing but also the last sign of our long-lived livestock keeping culture.

One day, however, she ruined my moods and I would have beaten her to death out of frustration. πŸ˜’πŸ˜€ It was a Saturday like this, except it had rained devastatingly in the afternoon. Phoebe was pregnant again and had been teethered along with her young daughter in a green grazing patch outside our home.

When later in the evening I went to bring her home, I met a rude shock. She had pulled and cut off the rope that tied her to a tree and had moved into a nearby leafy maize plantation. She was greedily and arrogantly breaking and chewing the maize stalks! Eish! I almost cried. That was nonchalantly inviting trouble.

I picked up a stick and rushed into the plantation to drive her out. I hit and hissed at her in sotto voce tone, lest the owner of the farm who was staying only a few meters away hear us and charge. Of course she responded appropriately by walking out. But when I tried to talk her towards home, she turned and glanced at me, and what resembled a sarcastic smile featured on her face. Then she raised her left leg and tried to kick me but missed. πŸ„πŸ€ͺ.

Before I would think of any proper action to take, she jumped up childishly in front of me and took off. I went after her but, suffering catfish, she was too fast and I wouldn’t catch up.

She glanced at me and what resembled a sarcastic smile featured on her face.

Now here is what disgusted me most. Phoebe turned the chase into a hide and seek! She would playfully run ahead of me and hide in a thicket, and when I found her, she would rush out again and hide in another. What the heck!

I don’t know whether she was deliberately hurting me or thought we were having some real fun. Personally I wasn’t enjoying it even in the least way possible. It had rained “donkeys and cows” and the whole area was muddy, the air scaldingly cold. I didn’t even have a sweater on or gumboots on my feet. I was supposed to be indoor trying to keep warm.

The ‘game’ went on and off until we were both forlagen and she wilfully decided to lead the way home. At that point, I felt like plucking out a tree from the ground and hitting her in recompense for the pain she had caused me that evening. But I forgave her.

Later, my mum would tell me that Phoebe’s sprightly and playful nature was as a result of her pregnancy. I wondered.

The following Monday morning, I was sent home for school fee and mum had no choice. The main exams were just about and, of course, she wouldn’t fancy her kid staying at home. Phoebe and her daughter were the only choice. I watched with gloom as the man she had called to take the two to the market led them out of the kraal and away. I couldn’t withstand it; I walked back into the house heaving with emotions. πŸ˜”πŸ˜’

🌺🌺🌺

It’s weekend. Have some fun. See you here again next Saturday. Meanwhile keep reading our posts.

1. DAP says:

Very interesting story! Thank you for sharing it!

1. Many thanks to you, my friend DAP. I’m glad you liked it. πŸ˜€πŸŒŸ

2. Such a wonderful read, Lamittan. Great story. Love the pictures too.πŸ’•

1. Glad to know you liked it, my friend Grace. Many thanks for your kind support. πŸ€—πŸ…

1. Truly my pleasure.πŸ’•

3. Beril Atieno says:

Very interesting… but hope more Phoebes will be replaced soon.

1. Thank you. ❀

Wonderfully reflective. Thanks for sharing, Lamittan. Happy weekend, my dear friend. ❀️

1. Pleased you enjoyed, Jeff. Thank you many times and have a wonderful weekend too. ❀

Enjoyed much. You’re most welcome, Lamittan. Always. Thank you. ❀️❀️

2. Much pleasure, my dear friend Jeff. πŸ’•πŸŒŸπŸ’•β€β€

5. Great to have these memories to reflect upon. An enlightening read. Thank you for sharing.

1. Makes me elated to hear you say these, dear Shobana. Thank you many times.

Aw, this is both funny and poignant. Believe me, I understand about cows, having been raised on a farm surrounded by them. They can be hilariously comical and downright antagonistic. Dangerous, too. And who can resist a new-born calf? This tale is delightful, Lamittan. Thanks for sharing it with us. πŸ™‚

1. I’m amazed by how you put it, Mike. What a noble understanding of livestock keeping! Indeed animal feelings can be hard to predict and grasp. You’d think they’re angry when they’re really enjoying. I’m glad you could resonate with my piece. Thanks for your kindness and support. πŸ€—

7. I always laugh at something you write and this was no exception…
    “. I went after her but, suffering catfish, she was too fast and I wouldn’t catch up.”

I think Phoebe was playing with you and I can see how mad she could make you.l
    Hide and seek sounds about right.

Heifer’s used to be our nick name in our family.. cuz my grandma would say
    “that old lady heifer”. ….gossiping about her friends.

awwww what a sad day to see her and her baby go.. happy Sunday Lamittan and good story my friend! πŸ’–πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘

1. Wow, I’m glad my writings bring joy to you, dear. That’s always my earnest endeavor. πŸ€—πŸ’•πŸŒŸπŸŒŸπŸ’•

Yes, i remember that evening as clearly ad today. Phoebe was annoying me but enjoying on her part, moving up and down like a scared rat. Haha. I miss her sometimes πŸ˜”. Generally, i love animals and their memorable encounters with us in the ecosystem.

You’re granny must have been great fun being around. Her choice of words stirs laughter and seem to be the source of joy. Lots of ❀❀ to her in her place of rest. What a joyous morning to come by your comments. πŸ₯°β€

1. You’re so welcome e and her memory gives you pleasure which is sweet!
        I love animals too.
        My grandma actually drove me crazy with her gossip but she was young and had a big heart! we Did laugh over β€œold lady heifers”.
        You’re welcome dear!❀️

2. Sure it’s a funny phrase. Made me chortle too πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚. Thanks for sharing. πŸ’•πŸŒŸπŸŒŸπŸ’•β€

3. you keep me laughing… ChORTLE? HAHAHA 🀣

4. Yes, I chortled, cachinnated. I’m glad you’re happy. Your joy is my happiness. πŸ€—

5. 2 new words. 🀣🀣
        I’m happy if you’re happy and sleepy! πŸ€£πŸ€£πŸ’–

6. Haha. 🀣 Goodnight to you dear. Sleep tight. πŸ€—πŸ’–

7. πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚NN😴😴🌹
        Thanks! πŸ™πŸ’•

8. πŸŒœπŸ˜€πŸŒΊπŸŒΊπŸ’•

Haha… Sorry for all the trouble you went through but Phoebe sounds like quite the delight and oh boy what a sight it must have been. πŸ˜…
    Extremely sorry you had to let her go though, thanks for sharing this with us.

1. Thanks for your comfort, was a time indeed worth all my memory. Phoebe was a sweet cow, playful and annoying at times, and I felt sad to see her go, but of course she opened a door to my future. I don’t whether it sounds appropriate to wish her well wherever she is πŸ˜€.. but I hope they haven’t eaten her and that she’s having some more calves, nine years down the line. Thanks again. ❀

Yes she gifted you your future, I do wish her well too and I know she’s out there somewhere annoying someone else πŸ˜„ You’re most welcome dear! ❀️

2. Yes, she did. Haha… if only I’d know where she is, I’d go get her back. It’s amazing how one can miss being annoyed, that’s me πŸ˜‚

Haha… I think we all do at some point. πŸ˜‚

4. I agree. Many thanks to you dearest. πŸ’–πŸ’•πŸŒŸπŸ’•