The Soil Weeps

The rivers and streams
flow with fear;
lakes and oceans live with doubt;
the mountains and hills gloom:
mankind has trespassed.

The stone cries hard;
the soil weeps
and the trees and animals
living on them shake with fright
as they watch the doings of mankind,
as they witness the endless flow
of thick blood, just thick human blood.

The sun sweats his heat;
the moon hides her face,
scared to see what humans have done.
Clouds scamper for safety;
the wind blows in fury;
the whole earth quakes:
humans have conquered unknown territories.

The rat is afraid of crossing the road,
the bird of flying,
the bat of roaming;
the owl has stopped hooting,
all are afraid of our arrows and bows.
Babies have stopped giggling,
scared of harridans’ gaze;
farmers and entrepreneurs
have stopped their works,
cause their wheat and coins
have been stolen by the sitting kevins.

The pure have preached pure love
saying:
“Love your neighbour as you love yourself;
Pray for your enemies, do good
to those who curse you.”
They have preached water but taken wine.

Pure love is this:
That we may burn all hate,
from a solid scalding iron
to white discardable ashes.
Oh that all mankind would
put their front foot forward
in fighting
racial segregation,
ethnic prejudice,
political rivalry,
geographical alienation,

environmental degradation,
greed,
misogyny
and sexual violence.

Why do we embrace religion
without love and care?
Why do we carry holy scriptures
in one hand, and in the other,
swords, guns and machetes?
Are our supremes too mean
to teach us fondness,
or are we just too stiff-necked
to learn and stand for the truth?

The soil weeps:
humans have destroyed their habitation.

(C) 2022 Lamittan Minsah, All rights reserved.

Strong words, Lamittan, and I agree:

β€˜Why do we carry holy scriptures
    in one hand, and in the other,
    swords, guns and machetes?’

Why indeed?

1. I also wonder why, dear Ingrid. Perhaps religion is a mere cachette from the shame of our wrongdoing, a place for humans to practise hypocrisy πŸ€”. Thanks for highlighting and writing such a thoughtful comment. πŸ™‚

I don’t think it’s only that, but for some people it certainly becomes that!

2. Yes, religion is good, but for most people it’s that. It’s quite sad to even imagine how humans have painted grim on religion.

That’s a human thing rather than a God thing!

4. Heheh, such a bold opinion. Would you explain, my dear Ingrid. I love your broad view of life. Would you?

Well people blame God and religion for all the awful things that happen on earth, when really these things come from people themselves, don’t they?

6. Yes, they do. However, if you believe in religion, you’d also agree with me that all religions teach that there’s another unseen source of evil (some evil entity or whatever) so that evil and bad are parts and parcel of religion.

Oh I really don’t believe that. But I accept and respect that it is a big part of most religious teachings!

8. M’hhhm… then what causes evil according to you?

People believing lies

10. Is there anything you’d say that compels people to sin?

Perhaps being afraid to be honest with themselves?

12. That’s a point! But you agree that religion roots for good, don’t you? If this is so, then isn’t it right that those who are religious paint grim on religion and make it seem unimportant when they still do bad? Otherwise, what’s the importance of religion. Isn’t it for upholding virtues?

Oh yes, I definitely agree with that!

14. I’m glad that sounded right, Ingrid. Thanks for shedding more light on this topic. I’m always elated to come by your skeptical comments. They show that you aren’t a joyrider but one interested in knowledge and truth. My laudits go for you! πŸ‘πŸ€—πŸ’•

Thank you kindly, Lamittan, I do enjoy discuss these matters!

16. It’s a good thing. You’re most welcome. 🀝

2. Such a powerful write, Lamittan! What have we done to our dear earth!

1. Indeed, my friend. Humans have made earth a terrible place, both for ourselves and other creations. Thanks for your kind words. 😊

1. You are welcome. 😊

3. Dennis says:

Stunning piece! Painted in naked truth!

1. Thank you so much for your kind words, my friend Dennis. It’s my joy to see you reading. 😊

4. DAP says:

Beautiful! Well done!

1. Many thanks to you, DAP my friend. 😊

5. Your words are powerful, strong and hit the mark,
    As I told you in another comment, hatred must be eradicated, but I fear there is still a long way to go

1. Thank you so much for such a gratifying compliment, my friend Luisa. Yes, there’s really a long way to go. We just hope for the best. πŸ’•πŸŒŸπŸ’•

1. Grateful for your kind reply πŸ™πŸ’™πŸ™

2. My pleasure πŸ™

3. 🌸🌹🌸

Oh, Lamittan, this is jaw-droppingly intense and powerful. Every line gripped me and pulled me in. I fear we’ve run out of time, and too many people don’t care. We need this planet much more than it needs us. Earth will recover eventually from our sins upon it, long after we as a species are dead and gone. It’s like having a front-row seat to the end of the world. People carry on as if we have eternity, while the earth burns… My hat is off to you on an amazing piece of writing. Everyone needs to read this. Well done, Lamitan. πŸ™‚

1. Your words fill my heart with gratitude and happiness, Mike. Your comments do light up my day and I’m forever grateful for this. Much love for you, my brother. It’s indubitably true that we need the earth more than it needs us, and we’re running outa tine of making it a better place. I love your reviews of my work and I feel blessed to have you as a friend. Many thanks to you. πŸ€—

7. Beautiful and so powerful, Lamittan. Incredible piece, my friend.πŸ’•

1. Many thanks to you, my friend Grace. I’m happy you enjoyed it. ❀

1. I sure did.Truly my pleasure.πŸ’•

2. πŸ’•πŸŒŸπŸŒŸπŸ’•πŸ€—

8. Eva Hnizdo says:

Very good. And compelling. 1 typo prejudice with an extra d. You have “predjudice “. But very good poem.

1. I’m happy you enjoyed this piece, my friend Eva. And I’m glad you identified the misspelling. Noted with lots of thanks, dear. πŸ€—

9. A powerful poem, Lamittan, and full of despair, which I share. I have often wondered:
    “Why do we carry holy scriptures
    in one hand, and in the other,
    swords, guns and machetes?”
    Such a profound question to which I don’t know the answer. Insanity?

1. It’s such a big wonder to me too, great hypocrisy among the human race that other creatures too might be livid about. Thanks for your kind words and noteworthy compliment, my friend. Much appreciated, always. πŸ€—

1. The hyprocrisy is infuriating, isn’t it? Makes me livid.

2. Sure it is. I’m glad we feel the same about it.

Such a beautiful powerful poem dear, I cannot even begin to describe how impactful this poem is. You’ve spoken the utmost truth of humankind which is very much needed. Kudos to you my friend. πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘

1. Oh thank you many times, my dearest friend. Humans have spoilt the ecosystem and all creations feel the punch. I’m glad you enjoyed reading, Daph πŸ’•πŸŒŸπŸŒŸπŸ’•πŸ₯°

You’re most welcome Lam, this poem is very much needed. ❀️❀️❀️❀️

2. Ain’t that gratifying of you to say, dear. I’m very glad it is. πŸ€—β€β€πŸ₯°

πŸ€—πŸ’–πŸŒΈπŸŒΈ

Your strong and precise thoughts were revealed in the poem, dear Lamittan ❀️

1. Wow, Jane. That’s something encouraging for you to say. I’m glad the message arrived home, dear. Thank you many times for your kindness and support. πŸ€—πŸ₯°

You are always welcome and remember that I like to read you, dear Lamittan πŸ₯°πŸ€—

2. Aww, I’m filled with profound gratitude to hear that, Jane. So encouraging indeed. The feeling is mutual – I love reading you too! Lots of pleasure, dear. Stay safe and keep writing and reading πŸ’•πŸŒŸπŸŒŸπŸ’•

You too encourage others. Whatever we give that we receive as it is. You too stay safe and keep writing and reading, dear LamittanπŸ’ž

4. Indeed I always will. My pleasure. ❀

❀️❀️

12. Stellah says:

Interesting

1. Thank you so much, Stellah. I’m glad you liked this piece. πŸ‘β€

13. prejila says:

Very nice

1. Thank you many times for your graceful comment.

14. this is beautiful Lamittan.. Preach it!

“Why do we carry holy scriptures
    in one hand, and in the other,
    swords, guns and machetes?
    Are our supremes too mean
    to teach us fondness,”

our words of love alone carry us to tears of joy..
    πŸ’–πŸ’–πŸŒˆπŸŒˆπŸ’–πŸ‘

1. Your comments bring exceeding joy to my heart. I’m unspeakably happy you enjoyed this piece and found it meaningful, dear. Thanks for highlighting. πŸŒΊπŸ’•β€πŸŒˆ

1. πŸ’–πŸ™πŸŒˆ

15. Excellent message Lamittan! Powerful insights.

1. Kind of you to say, my friend. It’s my joy that you loved it. Thank you many times. πŸ’•πŸŒŸπŸ’•

1. Too πŸ™

Gorgeous, searching words so laden with truth!

1. Thank you for your kindness and support, dear Jaya. I’m glad you liked it. Been awhile. How’re you?

Well! Loved seeing your flowing words today.

2. Pleased to hear so. Happy to hear you’re doing well too. I sit here eargerly waiting for a new post from you, when you find time to make one of course. Have a wonderful time, dear.

Such a powerful message Lamittan. Bravo

1. I’m so grateful, my friend Sadje. It’s my happiness you enjoyed this piece. An thanks for your follow-back too. πŸŒΊπŸ€—

You’re welcome my friend. I’m sorry I didn’t find the time before to check your blog.

2. No problem. I’m glad you’re now in. It’s my pleasure πŸ™

πŸ™πŸΌπŸ™πŸΌπŸ™πŸΌ

18. rothpoetry says:

Very well written poem. Lots of unanswered question for all of us to work on!

1. Oh yes, I’m glad you enjoyed the piece. Many thanks to you for reading and leaving such a kind comment.

1. rothpoetry says:

You are welcome!

19. What a gorgeous lament. so apt for these times. Humans have segregated themselves with prejudices. I wish there would be no more discrimination, however, even children are taught from young how to hate.

1. Imagine! Quite a sad situation. If only parents could teach their kids equality, oneness and love… What a revealing comment! Thank you many times, Shobana my friend. πŸ’•πŸŒŸπŸŒŸπŸ’•

1. Yes, you are right. The world would be a better place. Thank you.

2. Sure. You’re most welcome, my friend.