My Pitbull

True love is not physically and mentally abusing others.

Harsh,
tough like iron,
was the bloke I married –
a pitbull,
who knew no love,
to whom gentleness was a tale.

He’d come home late,
as drunk as a skunk,
smelling like raw meat –
my pitbull.
He’d rough me up,
push me to the wall
and shove his rod in me
as I cried
in great anguish.

Then I,
sitting on this hot iron plate,
thought: this, this is misogyny!
So I held my little Tom,
and took a moonlight flit;
else, we’d both succumb
to the cruelty of my pitbull.

To feed and educate my son,
I, who had once knuckled under
my pitbull’s austerity,
borrowed some cabbage,
hanged my shingles,
and watched me grow, silently,
till I went back to class.

And now I,
a teacher, a motivator,
say NO to violence,
NO to hatred towards fellow women.
My pitbull?
Oh, I’m told
he married a second wife,
still the drunkard he was anyway.
Was that really love?

Let’s all rise and say no to all sorts of hatred and violence against women in our societies. I’m not a feminist as so one would think, but I’ve been torn by how certain men treat women like worthless creatures. I know and have seen it, women are strong, women can do better. In my society, most women decide to just endure hardship in their marriages, even unto death! What a high level of slavery to impose oneself to! But the story is always longer than this. Some men threaten women with death if they dare quit. Some have even cut their wives into pieces because they didn’t just want to let them go, which begs the question: must someone remain attached to you even if they don’t love you anymore? Love is like an icecube, friendship like a diamond.

These are malevolent acts that must be rid off from our communities. Who said women are weak creatures? Women are strong. That’s why even after their husbands die, they still manage to raise their kids. That’s why single mums exist. See, it takes you, it takes me, it takes all of us to root for the rights of women in our societies, to encourge a woman somewhere not to allow themselves to be denigrated or abused by a man. It’s my earnest hope that every man in future generations will find it right to treat their wife with dignity and respect and likewise women towards their husbands. It begins now, show your kids that it’s wrong to mistreat one’s spouse. It’s a matter of showing them, by how you behave towards each other, not just in the presence of the kids, but in everything you do.

1. Dennis says:

You’ve nailed it πŸ‘Œ, a nice piece

1. Thank you many times, Dennis. I’m happy you liked it. 🌺🌟🌺

A powerful message through poem, Lamittan πŸ‘πŸ‘

1. I’m much pleased you liked this, Jane. Thank you so much. Blessings to you in abundace dear. ❀

Always welcome dear. Good luck to you too❀️

2. Pleasure πŸ’•πŸŒŸπŸ’•β€πŸŒŸ

❀️❀️

3. Such a thought provoking and powerful piece, Lamittan. Love it!πŸ’•

1. Many thanks for your love and kindness, Grace. I’m excited you did enjoy this. πŸ’•πŸŒŸπŸŒŸπŸ’•πŸ€—

1. I absolutely did. My pleasure πŸ’•

2. You’re most welcome, dear.

3. πŸ’•πŸ™πŸ’•

Bravo Lamittan. Great story and message.

1. Thanks in abundance, dear Sadje. I’m elated you enjoyed this piece, my friend. πŸŒΌπŸ’•

You’ve talent my friend. πŸ‘πŸΌ

2. Aww, so kind of you to say. Many thanks again. I’m humbled πŸ™πŸŒΊπŸŒΌ

My pleasure

This made me quite emotional, it is nice to read such a brave and strong poem regarding women. It is high time violence against women stops. You know the sad part is after going through such things the women are still blamed for everything that went wrong. Well done Lam, really appreciate this poem. ❀️❀️❀️❀️❀️❀️❀️❀️❀️❀️

1. For sure, Daph, it’s time we stood firm against hatred towards women. otherwise, these misogynistic and narcissistic moral scoffers will take our societies to the dogs. I’m glad you loved this piece, dear. I agree with your ideas. β€β€β€πŸ™πŸ₯°

True, absolutely true. I know first hand how a narcissist can make you feel sadly. I love your poetry cos you bring real issues to light and you are amazing at it. ❀️❀️❀️❀️

2. Oh wow, thats very charming and kind of you to say, dearest. Feel most welcome. I’m glad you always find meaning in my work βœ…β€β€πŸŒΌ

Your works are spot on and it is always great to read and learn from you and all the others as well. πŸ€—β€οΈ

4. Many thanks to you kindly. I’m humbled πŸ™πŸ€—πŸŒ·

A pleasure Lam, always a pleasure. β€οΈπŸ€—

6. πŸ’•πŸŒŸπŸŒŸπŸ’•β€βœ…

6. A powerful write, Lamittan! Well done.

1. Oh thank you so much, my friend. I’m pleased you liked it. πŸ‘ 🌷

1. You are welcome.

Expressive, beautiful words that so bring to life the nature of the violence of which you speak! I love your note at the conclusion too.

1. What a gratifying comment, my dear Jaya. It’s a complete pleasure to me that you enjoyed this piece and found it meaningful. Many thanks to you. πŸŒΊπŸŒΌπŸ€—

8. True words – Love and hurt is definitely not what it is about.

1. I agree. Many thanks for your truthful comment, dear Shobana. I’m well pleased. πŸ’•πŸŒŸπŸ’•

1. You are welcome, Lamittan.

2. βœ…πŸ’•πŸŒŸπŸŒŸπŸ’•

Well said, Lamittan: such a strong and important post. Abuse is never acceptable and must never be tolerated!

1. Indeed, Ingrid dear, lest our societies go to the dogs. Thanks for reading and commenting such kindly, dear.

A powerful piece, Lamittan! There’s no excuse for abuse.

1. No excuse, not even in the slightest way possible. Thank you so much Eugenia. I’m glad you loved it, dear. πŸ’•πŸŒŸπŸŒŸπŸ’•

You’re welcome, Lamittan!

11. Obong eno says:

Well penned… If they will hear, it will be better ❣️

1. Oh for sure, my dear brother. I hope they just do. β€πŸ’•πŸŒŸπŸŒŸπŸ’•

So much power, intensity and truth in this piece. My mom endured fifty-two years of a bad marriage to my monster of a father. She deserved better. All women deserve to be treated with dignity and respect as equals. Your words carry the weight of importance and urgency, Lamittan. Thanks for standing up for such a noble cause. πŸ™‚

1. Yes, my friend Mike. Women deserve better. Abuse and hatred should be rid off our komiunitis. I’m really very sorry for your mother’s case. It certainly does hurt to be denigrated and abused, to in even watch without the ability to do anything when one’s a child. Thank you so much!

13. Powerful piece Lamittan starting with the title.. what a great story in poetry to end violence and the illustration that it continues on unless we stand up to it and get support. Love this pieceπŸ’–

1. Very true, Cindy my friend. Hatred and violence against women should be uprooted from our societies and burnt with sulphuric acid and fire if we want to grow. Hating a woman is like hating nature; when she’s destroyed, the weeping is great and widespread because a woman’s arms touches every life, embraces everyone she comes across. I’m happy you enjoyed this piece, and thanks abundantly for your love, dear. β€πŸ’•β€

1. it is so true Lam and I would say it is taught and most of the time people have true anger issues and low self esteem but whatever the reason, it’s not ok and should be abolished and never tolerated you’re right. You’re soooo welcome πŸ’–πŸ’–

2. Acceptably so, dear. Lots of pleasure πŸ’–πŸ’–πŸ™

3. πŸ₯°πŸ˜Ž

14. What a great post. Thank you for sharing.
    xoxo

1. Wow, thanks for this dear. I’m so glad you read and loved this. You comment means a lot to me. πŸ˜˜πŸ’•πŸŒΊπŸ’•

1. My pleasure Lamittan. I enjoyed every bit.
        xoxo

2. My happiness. πŸ€— Xoxo

An very important post, wonderfully articulated, dear Lamittan. πŸ’–πŸ’–

1. I’m pleased to know that you like this, dear Jeff. Thank you kindly, my friend πŸ™ πŸ’–πŸ’–

You’re most welcome, my dear friend. Always. πŸ’–πŸ™πŸ’–

2. πŸ’•πŸŒŸπŸŒŸπŸ’•βœ…β€

16. Cepher Ooko says:

Not a real love, no contention

17. Cepher Ooko says:

Real love needs contention…

1. Really? Where did you get this idea? πŸ˜’