Going to Die

Jerry stood in the moonlit night looking across the valley that stretched behind their home. He was tired and vexed of the direction his life was taking.

The only lady whom he had treasured so much and thought he would build a future with had jilted him, just a few days after he proposed to her.

He was a total orphan who had, but through thick and thin, managed to complete his high school studies and was now raring chickens to raise money for his college studies. Christine was his first love, the beauty that had struck his heart. How so sweet and lovely their relationship had grown!

She was a medium-height svelt dark-skinned lady with a radiantly charming face and a bewitching diastema between her upper incisors. He, on the other hand, was rather tall and fat and had a straight royal face. She came from Kakamega but stayed with her aunt there in Kisumu where she had been schooling. They had both just completed high school and their relationship was barely a year old.

On this particular issue that bothered him, he had bought a ring from the savings he had and taken Christine on a date in Kisumu Town. When he knelt before her in the presence of people and proposed, she turned him down right off the bat, stood and scooted away from the scene.

Two days later, he met her with another boy at the local market. First, she pretended she had not seen him. But when he shouted out her name and stood right in front of her, she hit him hard on the face, spat on him and moved on. He could barely conceive it. Her new form of demeanor left him befuddled. He wondered whether she was possessed or something.

As he stood there behind his hut staring away and mulling over these, he felt a hand touch his shoulders lightly. He turned with a great magnitude of surprise and cast all his scared looks onto the figure.

“Christine!” he exclaimed upon realizing that it was her, and opened his arms wide to amplect her. But she retreated and gave him a cutting stare.

“What? What is it? What’s been happening to you, Christine?” he managed to ask, a tink of fury manifesting in his voice. “Why did you turn down my proposal and… and slapped and spat on me the other day? And who was that nerd you were with at the market?”

She turned gloomy all of a sudden and looked away, then her tears came gushing out like the bursting of a confluence of numerous tributaries, such a great flow that he too was touched. He had never seen her that emotional before.

“What is it?” he asked again, now trying to move closer to her.

“I’m sick, Jerry, and you can’t have me,” she released the secret she had been holding for many days.

“What do you mean sick? And… and… ooh… is it this common incurable bug?” he asked, almost wearily.

“No. I was diagnosed with brain cancer a few weeks ago and I think I am going to die. I’ve been suffering from mental seizures lately. The boy you found me with is my step-brother. He came to visit and was…”

“Oh my God!” His voice went more faint. “That break-up was unnecessary. How would I have known this? Look, darling, you aren’t going to die. No. You should have just told me instead of… Oh, I understand, you must have lost your fettle then.”

He moved up closer and enfolded her. Lying on each other’s chest, they cried for long with huge bursts of emotions, till he felt her bite off a chunk of flesh from his shoulder.

Thanks for reading till the end. Kindly leave a comment.

The story line is amazing and you are an excellent story teller dear, it is always exciting to read your words. πŸ€—β€οΈ

1. Thank you many times, Daph. I’m glad you enjoyed it, dear. Your kind support is what encourages me to write. πŸ’•πŸŒŸπŸŒŸπŸ’•πŸ˜˜

You’re most welcome Lam, I am glad it is so. You have a way with words that lets me want to read more. πŸ’–

2. And so are you. Aw, you’re so kind, Daph. I’m well pleased dear.vπŸ™β€πŸ˜˜

Have a wonderful week ahead my friend πŸ€—β€οΈ

4. You too, dear Daph πŸ’•β€β€πŸ’•

πŸ₯°πŸ’–πŸ€—πŸ€—

6. Anonymous says:

Oh, Poor thing,the only darling in the vicinity of jerry. Anyway, not all is lost.

Indeed the story is touching 😒.
        Love the creativity.

7. Thanks for showing love for my writing. I’m enthralled you enjoyed it. πŸ’–πŸ’–

2. Wonderful story, Lamittan. You truly are a gifted story teller. Beautiful .πŸ’•

1. Aww, so kind and sweet of you to say, Grace. I’m quite happy you liked it, my friend. Thanks for your benevolence.

1. Always a pleasure .πŸ’•

2. πŸ’•πŸŒŸπŸŒŸπŸ’•πŸ’–

3. DAP says:

Very good story, with a flood of emotions !

1. Thank you kindly my good friend. It’s certainly heartwarming to see that you love it. It throws me some emotions too to read it.πŸ™πŸ’•

4. KK says:

A very emotional story. It’s not always true what is visible to eyes..

1. Very true, KK my friend. The eye is a quick judge. I’m glad you found some time to read and write such a lifting comment. Thank you a bunch. πŸ’•πŸŒŸπŸŒŸπŸ’•

1. KK says:

You’re more than welcome πŸ˜ŠπŸ’–

2. πŸ’•πŸŒŸπŸŒŸπŸ’•

5. Anonymous says:

I love how you crafted this beautiful web of lines, creating a lovely story. Nice work!

1. Oh, thank you so much for reading and writing such a kind and encouraging comment. 😊

then her tears came gushing out like the bursting of a confluence of numerous tributaries……Emotional story, but then you brought a smile on my face, dear Lamitan.πŸ™‚

1. Aww, so kind of you to highlight Jane. Thanks in abundance, dear. I’m glad you enjoyed. πŸ’•πŸ’•πŸŒŸ

You are welcome, dear Lamittan!❀️

2. πŸ’•πŸŒΊπŸŒŸπŸŒΊπŸ’•πŸ’–

You have a knack for emotional narrative, Lamittan. This is a heart-wrenching piece, and crafted so well. Amazing writing, my friend. πŸ™‚

1. Aw, thank you many times, senior brother Mike. Your comments do touch my heart unspeakably. I’m happy you enjoyed. πŸ€—πŸ’–

8. Evocative, great read, thanks for sharing! ❣️

1. Thanks many times, Tricia, for your heartwarming comment. I’m happy you loved it. ❀

1. Welcome! πŸ’–

Mesmerizing, with a wondrous twist at the end. Great write, Lamittan. πŸ’–πŸ’–

1. Wow, many thanks to you, my friend Jeff. I’m glad you enjoyed it. You comments light up my face indeed. πŸ’–πŸ’–

Such a heartbreaking story

1. Thank you many times, my friend. I agree that it is. πŸ™

You’re welcome

2. πŸ’–πŸ’–πŸ’•

My, oh, my! What a well-written and compelling story, Lamittan! Bravo!

1. Wow, Eugenia, ain’t that sweet and kind of you to say! Oh, thank you in abundance, dear. I’m certainly happy to see that you enjoyed it. πŸ’•πŸŒŸπŸ’•πŸ’–

My pleasure, Lamittan!

2. πŸ’•πŸŒŸπŸŒŸπŸ’•β€

12. Oh dear. Didn’t expect the ending. Sometimes, things are not the way it seems. The break-up was purely unnecessary. Well crafted story, Lamittan. Well done.

1. Yes, sometimes things aren’t the way we expect they were. Marvelous! That’s exactly the idea that bore this story. Many thanks for your kindness in terms of reading and leaving such an elevating comment, dear Shobana. βœ…πŸ˜Š πŸ’•

1. You are most welcome, Lamittan.

2. πŸ’•πŸŒŸπŸŒŸπŸ’•πŸ™

13. so well written and heartbreaking like life sometimes is Lamittan! πŸ’–
    Great job!πŸ’–πŸ‘πŸ‘

1. Thanks, C. I’m much glad you loved it. Life isn’t always very fair, and things just happen. πŸ’•πŸŒŸπŸŒŸπŸ’•β€

1. you’re most welcome and so true. greatly illustrated! πŸ’–πŸ’–πŸ’– xo

2. The pleasure is mine. πŸ’–πŸ’– xoxo

3. πŸ’–πŸ’–πŸ’–

4. Obong eno says:

“till he felt her bite off a chunk of flesh from his shoulder.”

She a vampire πŸ€—?