The Blind Woman and the Gang

“…a gang attacked us here and killed my husband and our ten-year old son. They then took away all our cattle and grains…”

Morris and his fellow thugs were on a monlight flit. They had just robbed a wealthy family in the countryside and were being searched for all about.

They were carrying cash and other luxuries they had seized and had to hide. A fierce group of young men armed to the teeth were scurring the area with the hope of finding and killing them. Besides, they were perched and ravenous and nothing but a lot of food and water could help revitalize their strengthen. So they stopped by one of the grass-thatched huts in the woods and knocked at the door.

“Come in,” a slim voice answered from within. Shortly afterwards, the door flew open and a midle-aged woman who appeared much withered from sickness showed up. “I said come in,” she reiterated and stood aside to allow them in.

As they walked in, she said as if she had just realised, “Oh, you seem too many. Um… I’m sorry I can’t see you, at all.”

It was then that Morris noticed the woman was blind. Her eyes were stuck to the walls as if she was seeing some figures on them.

Morris was the gang’s ringleader – stone-faced, tall, mascular and with an old scar on his left arm. He resembled one of the local statuettes of angry foreign soldiers available at the nearest shopping center. He leered at the woman and then glanced at almost every nook and crany of the single-roomed hut.

On the left handside of the entrance was a small kitchen area with the traditional kiln at the corner and towards the wall, approximately two meters away from the kiln, the woman’s bedding – a mat and blanket. There were few chairs in the hut and so most of the thugs remained standing.

The woman shut the door and said lifting a half-full jug of porridge from a stool, “My name is Lucia. I wish I had more food but this is all I’m left with, and I’d be very glad to share with you, my visitors.” Morris grabbed the jug of porridge, took one gulp and passed it to the next person standing right beside him.

As the jug went round, Lucia continued, now holding her heart on her sleeves, “I live here alone. Fifteen years ago, a gang attacked us here and killed my husband and our ten-year old son. They then took away all our cattle and grains. Coupled with this sickness that’s slowly eating my life away, I’ve found it hard to cope.”

She paused and then added, “May I now know who my visitors are.”

Silence fell as the gang reflected on Lucia’s encounter. It seemed they were all touched by it. After a short while, Morris cleared his voice and said, “I’m so sorry, Lucia. My name is Morris and I am the leader of this group. I am touched by your story. I think all of us here are. We too are a gang and are escaping a persuit following an act of robbery we’ve just committed.”

He stopped a moment to study Lucia who was now visibly perplexed. Then he picked up again, “We knocked to find…”

“No, please, don’t hurt me, I beg you,” Lucia burst out trembling. “Please. Take all that I have and spare my life. I plea…”

“Calm, calm down, Lucia. We won’t kill you or snatch anything from you.”

“Then please leave my hut. Don’t you realize that you are putting my life on the line?”

“We will. Listen…,” Morris continued, now emotional, “I am indeed saddened by your story, and I’m sorry that… that I was among the gang that attacked you and killed your husband and child. I was only fifteen then. Please forgive me.” Lucia was even more shocked at the revelation. Morris continued, “From today, I’ve stopped robbery. Neither will I ever lead a gang. I hereby surrender all this wealth to you. We will be gone. But when morning comes, please give them back to Mr Ogelo and his family.”

He wiped his tears with his right hand and ordered his subjects to surrender all the cash, jewels, clothes and other things they had snatched from the Ogelo’s family. Lucia remained surprised as the gang released the items and left her hut.

(C) 2022 Lamittan Minsah, All rights reserved.

Never sideline people. Showing kindness to moral reprobates and telling them our own story may help them change from bad to good.

1. Very touching story, Lamittan! Everyone should be given a second chance.

1. Indeed, my friend. Many thanks for noting, and for writing such kind words. 😊

1. You are welcome. 😊

2. Great story, Lamittan. Very moving and hopeful . Forgiveness and second chances are essential for healing.Wonderful.πŸ’•

1. Indeed, Grace! Thanks for reading and writing such a truly kind comment. I second. ❀

1. Always a pleasure πŸ’•πŸ’•

2. πŸ™πŸ’–πŸ™βœ…

A very moving story Lamittan. I’m glad they found redemption

1. Yes, I’m glad too they finally did. Thanks for reading and writing such a warm review.

You’re welcome

2. πŸ™πŸ™

Maybe he reached out to her again and noticed her pain had improved. Great story, dear Lamittan! ❀️

1. Sure. There are such possibilities. After all, he is human and both fallible and remorseful. Thanks for your reading and comment, dear ❀

You are always welcome, dear Lamittan! ❀️

2. Pleasure βœ… β€πŸ’ž

5. An amazing story, thank you!

1. Thank you verily my friend. Peace and wonderful blessings to you πŸ™

1. πŸ™β€πŸ™

A very touching and illuminating story. It reminds me of a Catholic hymn I learned many years ago. We can all learn a lesson from this hymn and from your story:

Eye has not seen, ear has not heard what God has ready for those who love him;
    Spirit of love, come, give us the mind of Jesus, teach us the wisdom of God.
    When pain and sorrow weigh us down, be near to us, O Lord,
    forgive the weakness of our faith, and bear us up within your peaceful word.

Eye has not seen, ear has not heard what God has ready for those who love him;
    Spirit of love, come, give us the mind of Jesus, teach us the wisdom of God.
    Our lives are but a single breath, we flower and we fade,
    yet all our days are in your hands, so we return in love what love has made.

Eye has not seen, ear has not heard what God has ready for those who love him;
    Spirit of love, come, give us the mind of Jesus, teach us the wisdom of God.

1. Oh my dear Nancy, you’ve brought tears of joy to my face with this wonderful hymn. Oh indeed! Eye has not seen, ear has not heard what God has ready for those who love him. Thank you so much for such a touching and comforting comment full of everlasting hope. I’m glad you liked and enjoyed my story and took time to write such a precious and soul-searching comment. God bless you, dear. πŸ™πŸ’–πŸ™

Wonderful story! I love the lesson in it alongside the lovely imagery and emotion. ❀

1. Many thanks to you, Jaya my friend. I’m happy you liked this piece and could indeed draw lessons from it. ❀

8. Yes, so true that showing kindness will lead one to rethink their priorities and way of life. Here the leader of the gang is touched by a woman’s hardship and realizes he is the cause of it. Indeed sad.

1. Yes. That’s very true. I even felt some pain when writing that part about the woman’s miseries. Thanks for your wonderful comment, dear Shobana.

1. you are welcome.

2. πŸ™πŸ™

9. So glad this ended well, I believe people can change when they just get proper perspective!

1. That’s very true, Tricia. It takes a single step of kindness to change a soul. I’m happy you enjoyed this, dear. Thanks for your kindness and support. 🏡 πŸ’–πŸ΅

1. My pleasure! πŸ’“

2. πŸ€—πŸ’•

10. “I am indeed saddened by your story, and I’m sorry that… that I was among the gang that attacked you and killed your husband and child. I was only fifteen then. Please forgive me.” Lucia was even more shocked at the revelation. Morris continued, β€œFrom today, I’ve stopped robbery. Neither will I ever lead a gang. ”

A powerful story Lam. My cousin was as strapping 6’4 with bulging muscles when he was stabbed in the heart outside his home by an 11 year old gang member and killed. They were trying to steal his hub caps for the third time. He lived in a good area and just had a 1 year old baby. It killed my aunt and the family. They finally found the kid cuz his lens fell out of his glasses and they were able to track him down. I’m not sure that my family was as empathetic as the one in your story but it is encouraging to read people change. πŸ’–

1. Oh dear, thanks for highlighting. I’m very sorry for your cousin’s situation πŸ˜”. That was a sad experience. Terrible things happen in this world cause of terrible people. If they’d all change, thanks to my tough wish, the society would be a great place. πŸ‘ β€πŸ‘

1. You’re so welcome and it’s so true Lamittan.. life is fragile, never fair but we are all called to higher ground to serve. xo πŸ’–πŸ’–πŸ’–

2. Very true. It’s my pleasure. πŸ’– πŸ’–

11. That’s a beautiful story with an inspiring moral, Lamittan! The storyline and the setting were perfect!

1. Thank you many times, my friend. I’m very glad you love this and found the plot and setting perfect as so I had hoped it would be. Grateful for your kind feedback. πŸ™

1. You’re welcome!

2. ❀🌷❀

What a powerful tale of guilt, kindness, redemption and forgiveness. Would that this occurred more often in our broken world. Well done, Lamittan. πŸ™‚

1. What a perfect wish, my friend. πŸ˜€ I also feel the same. Thanks for your invaluable kindness and support. Always highly cherished.

13. Obong eno says:

Happy endings are rare these days
    Just wish people will be as kind and as forgiving as the characters in this tale, great job bro

1. Oh for sure, I hope so too. Many thanks to you for the support, bro ❀

1. Obong eno says:

You are always welcome dear Lami πŸ₯°

2. ❀❀

Your wonderful story conveys a much-needed message, Lamittan. Beautifully written, my friend. πŸ’–

1. Thank you so much, Eugi. I’m glad you grasped the message in my poem. Ever grateful for your invaluable support and kindness.

15. A touching story, Lamittan. It seems that they needed to meet to heal and come to terms with what happened. Well told, my friend.

1. Yes, their meeting was quite important even as they didn’t know yet. Thanks for your wonderful feedback, my friend. 😊

16. Great story, Lamittan: touching and with an inspiring conclusion🌹

1. Thank you many times, Luisa. I’m glad you enjoyed this piece. ❀

1. πŸ™πŸ’™πŸ™πŸ’™πŸ™πŸ’™

17. What an inspirational story, I couldn’t stop reading.

1. I’m happy you found it inspiring and enjoyed reading, Diane. Many thanks to you, my friend. πŸ’–

A transformational moment for this young man. Wonderful write, dear Lamittan. ❀️

1. Elated to read your wonderful comment, dear Jeff. Indeed, it’s an unbelievable transformation. Many thanks for your continued support. ❀❀

I’m happy this is so; your most welcome, dear Lamittan. Always. Indeed it is. ❀️❀️

2. Pleasure πŸ’•πŸ΅πŸ΅πŸ’•β€β€

I got goosebumps as I read this I could feel all the emotions here, this is an amazingly written story dear Lam and makes you believe there is some good left in this world and that we are all capable of changing for the best. ❀️❀️❀️❀️

1. I agree to your sentiments, dear Daph. In such a problematic world, there’re still some kind souls. Thank you many times for your kindness and support, dear. It’s always a gratifying pleasure to come by your wonderful comments. ❀🌷❀

You’re most welcome dear, it is always a joy to read your words. Pleasures all mine πŸ€—β€οΈπŸ’žπŸ’“

2. β€πŸŒ·β€πŸŒ·β€πŸ™

❀️❀️❀️❀️❀️

20. Maria Khan says:

what a story!

1. Thanks, Mary. It’s my joy you liked the story.