Linda’s Diary: Entry 15

Click on this cover or here to go to the book’s main page.

Friday, 28th February 2014

10:00PM.

Dear Jennifer,

Faith’s case was mentioned today and she was released on a five hundred thousand shillings cash bail (which I paid from my family’s savings). I decided to pay her a visit for a small talk. My lawyer told me that she was a bit reticent about giving details and that I needed to find time with her and explain to her the importance of opening up for a court case.

I found her watching news in her house – she looked weary and troubled. She welcomed me with a firm hug and great appreciation about my intervention in her case. After she had served me tea, I decided to start up the conversation.

“Faith, my lawyer says you are hard on giving information,” I stated, and then poured some water to cool the bath, “you’re the like of my husband who clamps onto information like a kangaroo onto its child. Georgie has never been easy on opening up about anything, not even about the clothes he needs to put on.” I topped it up with laughter and noticed her face glisten up with a weak smile.

“Oh, he’s that secretive! I didn’t know,” she managed to say.

“Yes. He is. Listen, Faith, I need you to help me, dear. We’ve become much more like sisters, haven’t we, darling?”

“Yes. I can’t even fully express my gratitude for how helpful you’ve become to me. I don’t know how much I’m going to repay you.”

“No, you won’t need to. The only thing I need from you is information, as much information as you can so we can win this case, anything about Tiger or the gang.”

“Actually, there’s something I need to tell you about my brother, if it may be helpful.”

“Yes, every piece of information is. I can assure you.”

“Like I told you before, since my brother came back from wherever he went after serving his jail-term, he’s been acting strange. Can you imagine I don’t know what he does for a living, not even where he lives! He keeps popping up here any time he feels like, and when I ask him about his lifestyle, he says he is not living.”

“He is not living! What does that mean?”

“How am I supposed to know, Mrs Argwins? There were some claims by people back at our home in Nyahera that he died, but no one found his remains anyway. And then one day he returned home, strong and healthy, and followed me here in town.”

“That’s strange… very strange indeed. Anything you know about his involvement with The Allied Brothers?” I was keen to ask so as not to let the conversation wander a long way off.

“Not much , except something I found in his trouser’s back pocket one day while cleaning his clothes. He later asked me whether I had seen it, but I denied. I decided to secretly keep it away. And… given this situation, I can’t hold onto it any longer.” She added, standing, “Come with me to my bedroom, I’ll show you.”

We walked into her bedroom. It was spacious and well spread out, two beds laid side by side and two wardrobes built on the left and right handside walls. I wanted to ask her whether she had a life partner since I have never found a man around the house, but I withheld the question for another tranquil environment, considering that it was more personal too. I sat on one of the beds.

She unlocked her wardrobe and took out a small notebook. “This, is what I’ve been keeping,” she said handing me the book. “It contains meeting plans, venues and resolutions and other issues about a certain ring whose meaning I don’t quite understand. And the language used is quite complicated. Maybe you might help me understand.”

“Oh really? This could be important,” I said with a cool feeling of relief flowing down my spine. I held the book into my palm and first examined its dimensions. It was a black A5 size notebook with the writings “The Allieds” on it. “Mmh… this is something. Would you mind if I went home with it and checked later? I can carry it along in my next visit.”

“No. But promise me you’ll keep it out of anyone’s reach, not even your husband, and that by no means will Tiger come across it. Please.” I noticed that her whole body seemed to beg as she said these.

“I promise.”

“Cool. Don’t make me regret the moment I started opening up to you.”

“Look, Faith darling, I understand what it means to keep a secret, and I won’t let you down, not by even an inch, okay?”

“Thank you for the assurance. And please, Your Excellency, whatever it takes, help me know what I’m yet to know about my brother.”

“I will.” I opened my handbag and placed the book inside.

“My aunt told me that…  .” She stopped when someone knocked at the door. Before she could even answer to it, the door opened and we heard the feet of someone matching in. “It’s Tiger,” she muttered. At the mention of the name ‘Tiger’, my blood froze and my heart began to beat abnormally.

“Come with me. Quick. I’ll show you out through the back door,” she hissed, and then she raised her voice to the visitor in the sitting room, “Tiger, make yourself comfortable, bro. I’m dressing up and will be out in a moment.”

She held my hand and led me to the kitchen. As she opened the kitchen door, we heard the feet tapping closer. I withheld my breath, expecting the worst to strike. When she had opened the door, she released me out and told me to use the plot’s back gate to scoot out. She closed back the door and I heard her make a great sigh of relief.

I stood behind the house, pressing my back onto the wall and trying to placate myself from rapid breathing. Before I could make a single step away, I heard Faith saying, “Hey bro! You’ve sent shivers down my spine. What’s it today that you’ve even followed me to the kitchen?”

“Who were you speaking with? I could smell a familiar blood,” Tiger inquired auterely.

“Don’t be jittery for nothing, dear brother. I was simply on phone with someone. Then I came in to pick your tea.”

“No. Don’t lie to me, Faith. You left some tea on the table. Was that Linda Argwins you were speaking with?”

I felt my bowels cut into pieces and sweat form on my forehead.

“Haven’t I said no; I’ve been all alone, Tiger. Maybe you’re thinking a lot. Are you having a bad day?”

“Who were you talking to?” he shouted. Then I heard some struggles as if they were wrestling against each other, and the hair on my skin stood straight.

“Aaaah! Tig…er, you’re chok… chokeing me up,” faith complained amid the struggles.

I felt pressed between a rock and a hard place, fighting to either reveal myself and save faith from Tiger’s grasp or simply walk away to remain true to our agreement. As I was still thinking of it, I heard Faith make a great sigh of relief and Tiger grunt helplessly. “It’s just that you’re my sister,” said Tiger. “If it were not so, I’d choke you to death. How many times have I warned you against conspiring with my enemies against me?”

His enemies? That last bit raised my curiosity. I would have stayed much longer to grasp more were it not for my feeling of insecurity. So I simply tiptoed away and disappeared through the back gate.

I am yet to check the content of Tiger’s notebook, dear sister.  I want you to know that I always walk out with a private recorder hidden in my hair – I keep it in my make-ups box when I am in the house and do not need it. It helps me retrieve these long conversations.

As I go to bed tonight, I am worried about Faith’s safety. Besides, I have a lot of questions to ask my husband when he arrives back on Sunday, and a lot more to try to get their answers from places and people I still cannot tell. I will check in at Moderncare tomorrow to find out about Pastor Anthony’s treatment progress. I just hope I will not encounter Tiger this time round.

***

Continue to Entry 16.

1. queenmary74 says:

I loved this. I found myself unable to guess what was going to happen. I quite often can, so when I can not, it makes me excited to keep reading. Looking forward to more!

1. Oh sweet, I’m glad you enjoyed this piece, dear Mary. More is yet to come. Keep in touch. And thanks for your wonderful feedback, my friend.

2. Truly enjoyed, Lamittan. Looking forward to the next part.💕

1. Oh dear, I’m very elated you took your time to read and enjoyed. I know you will be in touch for the next entry. Many thanks to you for sure. Your support is invaluably encouraging. 🙏❤🙏

1. My pleasure, truly.💕💕💕

2. 🙏💖💖🙏

Love the narrative of this piece and the wonderful imagery! I am transported. 🙂

1. Oh wow, I’m glad it carried you away and you enjoyed, Jaya. Simply thank you. 🤝

4. The story is getting more and more mysterious…

1. Isn’t it? Good thing, all they mysteries will be solved.

1. Looking forward to it!

2. I will surely make it happen. ❤

3. 🙏😘🙏

This story gets more and more interesting, can you please publish a complete book of this in paper back or hard copy? I’d love to get one with you autograph in it if possible. You my friend are simply brilliant. ❤️❤️❤️❤️

1. Oh my dear Daph, aren’t you so kind and sypportive! I’m always leaping with joy at the meeting of your comment. You’re the best and your feedbacks and compliments are the highlights of my day. You have spoken, and now I’m carefully looking forward to doing it. The story is currently halfway, but I promise to make this possible in the fullness of time. I am forever obliged for your encouragement and support. Sending lots of love to you, dear ❤❤❤

Aww.. I am glad I could make your day dear and I am looking forward to that for sure, it will be a hit for sure. Being a thriller/mystery lover this one is quite fascinating and grabs your attention.
        It is my pleasure dear, shine on. Sending you lots of love as well. ❤️❤️❤️❤️

2. The pleasure is all mine, dear. For this cause, I will recline to writing it and ensure it’s available as soon as possible, possibly. ❤❤❤❤

Take your time dear, don’t rush too much. For this I’ll wait as long as I have to, it’s totally worth all the wait. 🤗❤️

4. Great. Many thanks for the advice and your willingness to be patient until i finish it. Meanwhile, there’s another play and a collection of short stories I’ve finished and would be publishing not after so long, thanks to your encouragement. ❤🤗

Always a pleasure dear. That sounds great, can’t wait to read.
        You’re most welcome dearest. 🤗❤️

A suspenseful read, wonderfully expressed and written, Lam. I look forward to reading what happens next! ❤️❤️

1. Thank you many times for such a nice feedback, my friend. Looking forward to entertaining you more in the next entries. 💖💖❤❤

You’re most welcome, Lam. Always. I’m looking forward to it too. ❤️❤️❤️

2. Amazing ✅ ❤❤❤

7. lots of keen mystery and intrigue in this piece Lam.. let’s see how it unfolds//💖💖🌻

1. Sure. I’m glad you’re loving it, dear. I’m back and I’ve really missed you. 🌈❤❤🌈

1. i missed you too. Now spoken as a mother, do let us all know next time so we don’t worry. “I’m a little under the weather or I’ll be back or I’m on blogging overload.. we all get that. you know something! ha💖 💖💖💖💖💖

2. You’re right, mum. Advice well taken. Next time, I won’t just walk away without leaving a note. Many thanks for this kind and important message. ❤💖💖💖❤ oh I love you. 🤗

3. 😂😂😂😂 don’t make me be a. um again! 😂 love you Lam! Your so welcome my friend. At least I’m far and can’t give you a wack on the behind.. 😂😂💖

4. 🤣🤣🤣🤣 darn, you must have been strict at discipline, dearest. Many thanks for your presence here. I don’t know whether others feel it too, what would have been WordPress without you? Your presence alone is joy in abundance 🤗❤

5. hahahaha just ask Garrett when he was riding those waves and I would sit at the beach an cry. Good thing i had 4 kids and not 1 or 2… can you imagine? 😂😂😂 DON’T EVEN TRY! 💖💖. YOU are the sweetest. it was you I was thinking about on my blogging post when you finally get to it..💖

6. Oh sweet Cindy, imma have to check them out soon. I’m glad and feel honoured that you thought about me, dear. Many thanks again. And… you had four… that should be a blessing… a good number… stressful to tame though 😂😂😂 i wanna have five, then leave for more studies and then on returning have another five 🤣🤣🤣

7. i’ll see you there…. hahahahah stick with 2 .. it’s too expensive and too much energy these days. On the plus, usually one picks up the slack for the other but mostly they’re MIA and TBH it’s all good with me these days! 😂😂😂 Don’t tell them tho! 💖💖🙏😂😂😂

8. Hahaha… that’s some good mirth. I’m just kidding though. Where on earth will I put ten kids? 🤣🤣🤣 Everything’s just scarce these days. Better a few that I can give the best care i can.

9. sHahahahaha.. that’s what I’m sayin. 😂😂😂 it’s sooo true and that’s a good plan! 💖

10. Yes it is, and I’m glad with it. 🙏❤🙏

11. 💖💖💖

Oh, my, the suspense had me on the edge of my seat. Lamittan! Brilliant writing.

1. Thanks, Eugi. I’m glad you’re loving it. Keep reading, dear. ❤

My pleasure, Lamittan! ❤️

Intensely suspenseful and well written. Looking forward to what occurs in the next installment! 🙂

1. I’m certainly happy you liked it, my friend Mike. Keep reading. 🌟

10. Jules says:

If and that is a ‘BIG IF’ Tiger is, shall we say wearing a white hat – he may need to think about who his real friends are.
    Linda is digging herself deeper into a hole that one can only hope someone with strong hands can help get her out of.

1. Yes, Tiger needs to draw a line between his enemies and friends. And Linda really is digging up a grave for herself. Her sister told her earlier that it isn’t good to be worried about things that don’t cocern one, but her curiosity’s killing her.

1. Jules says:

I believe Linda’s sister also bode that Georgie might not be a ‘good catch’ …
        But we make our choices and then most often must live with them.

Just imagine though, match made marriages that one counldn’t get out of. Or those in the monarchy who did – but by eliminating the spouse they didn’t like!

2. Yes, Jennifer warned her but she decided to roll the dice anyway. The problem with marrying politicians is the “public domain” thingy. What does one do when everyone knows she is the governor’s wife and has two grown children? 🤔 Poison the troubled governor or seek for devorce? It’s a hard decision to make, especially for someone with good virtues and intentions like Linda. But there will surely be a clever means.

3. Jules says:

The mystery of the clever actions keeps one reading 😉

4. Oh, I’m glad it does. ☺

5. Oh, I’m glad it does. Thank you 😊

6. Jules says:

I think I am almost up to the point where I first ‘fell’ in… Each new chapter brings more questions than answers!!

7. Haha… as you proceed, there’re actually answers. Keep reading. 🌟 🌟💖