Praying Peacefully

A prayer is simply a close communication with one’s supernatural being.

About a month ago, we had a new tenant in our residential plot. She came in to occupy the house that is just opposite mine. The evening she arrived, she came along with a bunch of people and they spent the whole evening and most of the night singing and praying (kind of like in a fellowship).

The following day was Saturday. They fellowshipped again in the morning and when the visitors had gone, she spent the day cleaning the house and putting her things in order. She was a lean woman with a rather masculine face and a brackish gaze. When I greeted her, she first leered at me as if I was the enemy she had been praying against and then replied “Morning too” in a coarse voice and went on with her sweeping. I couldn’t resist this rather strange feeling about her uncomely sense of demeanour.

When night came, she started praying again to God, crying and shouting at the top of her voice! Unfortunately, the walls of our houses are not very sound proof and so the shouting could reach almost everyone in the twelve houses.

The lady went on for some time, then I heard a student neighbour in the house next to mine click himself angrily and open his door raucously. Shortly, Job – the lady’s next-door neighbour, came out and knocked on her door.

“Lady,” he called out. “What the deuce do you think you’re doing? It’s latenight and… .”

“What?” she shouted, opening the door abruptly. I opened my door and stood by watching the ‘craic’. She had not even bothered to wipe away her mucus and tears. She stood at her doorsil like an angry lioness waiting to pounce on and devour her enemy. Other tenants came out of their houses too to witness the scary site.

“What do you want from me. Can’t you see I’m praying?” she asked, seeing that all were standing still, dry of words at her actions.

“You should stop this noise forthwith. We also pray, but not like you do, dinning at your loudest like a hornbill,” said Job. “We do a lot of sweet silent prayers in there. And you? It’s been barely two days since you came and we can’t sleep, at all! Can’t you see we have children who ought to be sleeping but are awake because of you?”

“Yes, tell her,” seconded the student. “I can’t even study, yet I have exams tomorrow.”

“I think this is my house and…,” she started explaining but Job wouldn’t allow her.

“What we’re saying is that pray silently, not like a gobshite. We aren’t objecting the fact that this is your new rented house.”

She glared at the people standing around and then said, “You’re all fools, standing here to stop me from praying to God. Children of the devil.” With that, she shut the door loudly and remained silent for the rest of the night. Everyone returned to their houses.

The following day, she packed back her stuff, called for a taxi and left the place without speaking further to anyone. I doubt her story will ever leave my mind.

I learnt a few things from this occurrence. Prayer is meant to be peaceful, if we want to live in peace with others.

There are several things that people do when praying; talking is just one of them (not necessarily audibly). Other things to do include: kneeling, bowing severally, closing the eyes, lying in silence, reading a holy book, just whatever honourable thing one feels brings them close to their creator and facilitates communication.

I however find the following things wrong to do while praying:

• Shouting, especially in residential places
  • Dinning
  • Vainly repeating words
  • Hurting one’s body
  • Saying words that are meant to hurt other’s feelings
  • Showing off.

Allow me to quote from the Bible as I am a Christian.

Matthew 6:5 And when thou prayest, thou shalt not be as the hypocrites are: for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and in the corners of the streets, that they may be seen of men. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward. 6:6 But thou, when thou prayest, enter into thy closet, and when thou hast shut thy door, pray to thy Father which is in secret; and thy Father which seeth in secret shall reward thee openly. 6:7 But when ye pray, use not vain repetitions, as the heathen do: for they think that they shall be heard for their much speaking. 6:8 Be not ye therefore like unto them: for your Father knoweth what things ye have need of, before ye ask him.

I’d love to hear your opinion on this topic.

Twilight of Freedom by Lamittan Minsah

Magnificent read on this glorious Sunday morning! πŸ™πŸΌπŸŒΉ

1. Thank you so much, Ms Richy. I’m certainly glad you love this. Happy Sunday

2. DAP says:

How wonderful, thank you for sharing! ❀

1. Most welcome, DAP. Thanks for reading and for the comment. ❀

3. Fascinating story, Lamittan. Enjoyed reading. Thanks for sharing.πŸ’•

1. Glad you did. Feel most welcome, Grace. And thank you too. πŸ’–

1. πŸ’•πŸ™πŸ’•

4. Wic says:

We’ll said. Prayer is at its foundation a relationship thing. It’s intimate and if you resort to shouting and continuous loud noise I’m thinking the relationship has come apart or there was no relationship. That said, human nature occasionally needs to cry out in anguish and pain. But it doesn’t go on night after night.

1. That’s true, my friend Wic. Prayer ought to be intimate and done with caution without disturbing the peace of others. Thanks for such a reflective comment. 😊

I am with you in this one and I’m so glad you brought up this topic today, people around me have questioned me a lot since I am more of a silent prayer I think prayers should be just between me and God no one needs to hear what’s said and I also have no complains on how others pray but it seems like many people feel the necessity to pray at the top of their voice. Prayers are meant to be a sacred bond with God and prayers are meant to peaceful not a showcase for the world. ❀️❀️❀️❀️

1. You’re right about this, dear. I’m glad we agree. Prayer is a personal aspect of religion and should not cause disturbance to other uninterested parties when being done. Thanks for your supportive and reflective comment, Daph. Well cherished. ❀πŸ₯°β€

Exactly, thank you for brining this topic up it is one much needed one. Always a pleasure dear. ❀️❀️❀️❀️

2. πŸ™β€πŸ₯°β€πŸ™

6. A lovely reflection on prayer, Lamittan, and a beautiful read. Have a wonderful week.

1. Thank you many times for your support, my friend. Have a great week ahead too. πŸ€—

Since prayers are communication between a person and God, it needs to be respectful and private. That’s my opinion.

1. I concur with you, Sadje. I’ve been thinking the same. Thanks for your supportive comment.

You’re welcome πŸ‘πŸΌ

8. Oh, Lamitan, so glad the noisy, inconsiderate, wild woman left! ❀ The scripture quote is right on point. Too bad she hasn't read it! ❀ Enjoy some peace and quiet now. πŸ™‚

1. Indeed, dear Cheryl. I’m glad she left too. Peace and quiet are very important aspects of living. Thank you. ❀ πŸ€—

What a fascinating story! I believe also that praying should not be, above all else, disruptive to self or others, so your takeaways line up very well with mine. πŸ™‚

1. I’m glad we hold the same view over this. Thank you for the reflective and supportive comment, dear Jaya. πŸ™‚

10. A great story Lam! I laughed when you said what you shouldn’t do when praying. hahahahaha.

Loved this Lam “Well, if you’re wondering, a prayer is simply a close communication with one’s supernatural being, whoever or whatever they conceive that being to be.”
    πŸ’–

I agree.. more fights are over religion and politics which is crazy!
    πŸ’–

1. Aren’t they funny what people do when praying! πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚ Glad you enjoyed this, dear.
      It’s true, we hold different religious views all over the world, and that shouldn’t bring us apart. We just ought to strive for that which is good and which promotes peaceful coexistence, aight?

Ever so grateful for your constant support. πŸ’–πŸ’–

1. It’s so funny and I always feel sorry for those who think they should cry but there are no tears and that’s ok too. Oh for the love of….. yes. no more separation. These wars are fought over just that! i so much agree with you!!πŸ’–πŸ’–πŸ’– Peace out for sure my friend and it begins with you and me!

Oh it’s a treasured pleasure always Lam!πŸ’–πŸ’–

2. Amazing, my dear C. I also think it’s funny – even more, weird, when one makes noise as of one crying yet without even a droplet of tear 😒 🀣🀣It’s like a mill roaring but not grinding, oh this is sure splitting my side! Hahaha πŸ˜‚. Anyways, let’s not rub it in for the sake of the same peace πŸ˜…πŸ™
        Your comments always enter my heart like a stream of light, illuminating all corners of my body. Pleasure indeed it is. 😊 πŸ₯°

3. Oh now I’m laughing too!

β€œwithout even a droplet of tear 😒 🀣🀣It’s like a mill roaring but not grinding, oh this is sure splitting my side! Hahaha πŸ˜‚. Anyways, let’s not rub it in for the sake of the same peace πŸ˜…πŸ™ β€œ
        So true and how about when they couldn’t stand the person but now all that love πŸ’— πŸ˜‚
        Peace out my fun illuminating friend as well!
        πŸ’•

4. πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚ The pleasure is all mine, dear. πŸ₯°β€πŸ₯°

A lovely contemplation, Lamittan; thank you for always sharing your heart with us. ❀️❀️

1. Thank you for stopping by and writing such an encouraging compliment, dear Jeff. ❀❀

You’re welcome, dear Lamittan. It’s always my pleasure. πŸ’žπŸ’ž

2. ❀πŸ₯°β€

12. Prayer is a communication between the one praying and the one being prayed to, it should not interfere with others way of living.
    Well said, Lamittan!

1. That’s absolutely right, my friend. Shouldn’t interfere at all. Thank you, my friend Punam 😊

Intelligent, common-sense and much needed advice, Lamittan. The experience with the loud woman reminds me of some people I’ve known who behaved in a similar fashion. Matthew’s words are pretty clear regarding this topic and his admonitions ring true with regards to the hypocrisy of those who are loud and boisterous and who seek attention. Nicely written, thoughtful and timely subject matter, good sir! πŸ™‚

1. Indeed, my friend Mike. Mathew wrote it properly. Such people do suck to live with. Prayer ought not to raise other people’s attention. But if one needs to pray loudly and noisily, then prayer centures such as temples, mosques, churches and many others across all religions exist. Thanks for your supportive comment, my friend. πŸ™‚

14. Isackokothochieng says:

Amazing piece πŸ‘

1. Thanks bro Isaac πŸ™

15. Such a great reflection on prayer and a beautiful read.
    Have a wonderful week. Lamittan.

1. Thanks in a big way, Luisa. Have a wonderful week too, dear.

1. You are more than welcome, Lamittan

2. 🌺🌺

Prayer should be an intimate communication between the one praying and the one being prayed to and not an outlandish display of shouting. Excellent post conveying an important message, Lamittan.

1. You’ve spoken the truth as it is. Thank you for such a great reflection and support, dear Eugi.

17. My younger brother also had a roommate who prayed just like this woman: so loudly. But he set the record straight for the guy and he minimized the noise.

1. Haha. I’m glad he handled the issue immediately without fear. These sort of “prayer warriors” can sometimes be a bother. Quiet and peace are very key to living well. Thanks for reading and writing such a noble comment, my friend. Been awhile. How’re you?

1. I am well. I am just a bit busy handling work and school at the same time.

2. Glad to know you’re fine and working hard. That’s as it should be. πŸ‘πŸ˜Š

18. I resonate with you totally on this. I do believe prayers are meant to be sacred to one and done with reverence. It is between you and God. Thank you for the beautiful post.

1. Indeed, my friend. I’m glad you agree. Thank you and feel most welcome too. πŸ’–

19. Wise Hearted says:

Usually, people who pray like that woman want attention and she certainly got it. There was a lady who would pray for me whenever she seen me, private or public. And she prayed loud for me to get the gift of tongues because to her unless I spoke in tongues I was not saved, a child of God. She would come to our church occasionally and pray in tongues for our pastor and all of us to get the gift of speaking in tongues. Our pastor finally asks her not to come back, she was so disruptive, and the Holy Spirit is sweet, speaks with a soft still voice and comforts us. Good story, and good responses. Blessings brother.

1. You’re right about that, my dear sister. Loud people are attention seekers just like that proud woman who used to come to your church. And that last statement sums it up perfectly: … the Holy Spirit is sweet, speaks with a soft still voice and comforts us.
      Indeed! ❀

20. KK says:

Lessons behind this beautiful story are worth following by followers of all religions. Disturbing others while praying is not at all a prayer. Thank you for sharing it.πŸ˜ŠπŸ’

1. That’s true my friend. Prayer ought to be calm and personal. Thank you for your comment and continued support. πŸŒΊπŸ’–

1. KK says:

It’s my pleasure, my friend πŸ’–

2. πŸŒΊπŸ’–πŸŒΊ

21. I agree with you, Lamittan! Praying shouldn’t be a public display. The woman seems very selfish and intolerant.

1. Yes. Those two adjectives define her best, Dawn. We couldn’t sleep i tell you. Thanks for your reflective and supportive comment. πŸ’–πŸŒΊ