Scars of Lockdown

at the mention
of the first case
Then came the rules,
and people all over,
both big and small
wore visors,
as the air, it was said,
had grown very clatty

Bitter news, daily,
till we shunned hearing more
of the rising death tolls,
the great disposition
of our foe:
rife, brutal to human breath,
consuming mankind
all his way

There,
sitting on the verge
of hopelessness,
we turned back
the hands of time:
thought of the days
we could kiss and hug
We gloomed,
with hearts dunked in lime,
mourned for our own,
slain by the bug,
burnt without solemnity

We cried
seeing shelves go empty,
children withered,
jobs dwindling
and streets going off-limits

Then I looked out
through my window,
beheld two men
in cops’ kits,
thought,
Time to save my kids and Betty

I wore a mask,
grabbed a pot,
but o my Betty!
Clutched my hand, said:
Nay, you going nowhere
Tis lifeless out there
But for my kids,
her halting I gave no heed,
so out I rushed,
and followed she like a sot

We
ran after the cops,
for hunger’s sake?
But holy mackerel!
They vitiated my Betty,
slew her with a knife
So for my sake
and the kids’ healing,
ran I back into the house,
yet into the hands
of a ravenous drake

And the days
grew desolate,
no sense of hope,
not even of crows;
except fear
tapping on our doors
furiously,
our hearts
fighting back the shove
and panic
seeming to our lives rove
as we waited
for the vaccines to come

Then so they came.

(C) 2022 Lamittan Minsah. All rights reserved.

You have recaptured those dark days well, Lamittan!

1. Thank you many times, dear Ingrid. I’m certainly happy you felt it so. 🌺

The sense of impending doom in this poem is palpable. Such darkness, like a lurking beast snatching people off the street one by one. You’re a master at creating atmosphere, Lamittan. You’ve described the terror of this pandemic in such a visceral way. What a harrowing piece.

1. Your comment is so elevating and reflective of my thoughts, Mike. It’s my joy to hear you say these. Thank you in a big way. 😊

3. So horrific, Lamittan! Your eloquent poem reminds us of a painful era.

I have been watching the news of the lockdowns of millions of people in China under horrendous circumstances. This virus keeps mutating and attacking. Hope we can defeat covid!

1. Oh for sure, it’s still so horrifying in many places. I hope we shall one day defeat it too. Thank you, Cheryl. βœ… 🌺❀

4. Amazing piece, Lamittan. You put it together so wonderfully. πŸ’•

1. Oh, thank you so much, dear Grace. I’m glad you like it, my friend πŸ’–

1. I sure did. My pleasure.πŸ’•

2. πŸŒΊπŸ’—

This piece has horrifically captured the first wave of covid and how all our mental states were, I remember the first case in my state no one dared to go out the whole city went quite just like that but I really loved how you ended the poem with a hope from the vaccine. Lets hope and pray that it doesn’t return like the first time it came. ❀️❀️❀️❀️

1. Yes, dear. We hope for the best always. I’m glad this poem reminded younof those times. Those were terrible times indeed. ❀πŸ₯°β€

It was, I just hope things go back to normal soon. β€οΈπŸ’ž

2. Indeed we hope so πŸ™ πŸŒΊβ€πŸ™

6. Those were terrifying days because not much was known how to handle it. You have very skillfully expressed the anguish and fear.

1. Indeed they were, dear Punam. The world was caught unaware. Thank God normalcy has slowly returned. Thanks for your reflective comment.

1. You are welcome, Lamittan.

7. Such a great story painted so well and shared in your excellent writing Lam. Great job on this piece so haunting to read. πŸ’–πŸ’–

1. Aw, I’m flattered, dearest. Thanks for your support and encouraging words, C. πŸ₯°β€πŸ₯°

1. Always dear Lam! πŸ’–

2. πŸ™πŸŒΊπŸ’–πŸ‘

A work of art! No one will forget those days. How could something as horrific as this happen in the 21st Century? Beautiful work, Lam! πŸ’•

1. The moments were truly quite sad, Nancy. They’ve left indelible memories of suffering in our minds. Thanks for reading and commenting, dear. ❀

9. Awesome poem, Lamittan. It has so much truth in it. Well done, my friend.

1. Indeed. Thank you so much for the support and kindness dear Shobana.

10. mentalnotes1 says:

If I hadn’t experienced it first hand, you wrote a picture, oh wait, wrote a picture, I’ve got to use that in a poem, off topic back to this poem, awesome writing. I imagine just writing it was a bit eerie, it was a troubling time, still is, im hoping the worst is over. My husband passed of covid 12/13/20, we’ve all been affected by it in some ways. Great write my friend πŸ’›

1. Oh my dear friend, I’m so sorry this happened to you 😒 πŸ’”. Quite moving. Sending hugs and flowers of comfort to you, dear. πŸ’πŸŒΈπŸŒΉβ€ Indeed the effects of this bug are far-reaching and unforgettable. All that is left to take is just resilience. 😒❀❀

11. Wise Hearted says:

Your words captured it well…my heart dropped as I read and read. Thank God things have eased some and now we are left to pick up the pieces of hearts that shattered. Those times have visited the earth’s people before and until He comes we might see it again. I pray not, yes, I pray not but my Bible tells me in this world we will have troubles, trouble with an s. Blessings.

1. Yes, my dear sister. These are perilous times just as recorded in the Bible. We just pray that God sees us through it all. πŸ™ Thank you.

Wow, that’s a gorgeously expressed poem, dear Lamittan. You’ve expressed so many things we have all dealt with, and felt, and many we haven’t, which makes this write even more insightful and wise. ❀️❀️

1. Jeff, you certainly know how i feel about your comments, my friend. This one has touched me too. Indeed, those were tough times for many and we can all resonate. I’m forever grateful for your kindness and support. ❀❀

So well written Lamittan about those days of hopelessness.

1. Yes, and hopeless they were indeed. Thank you, Sadje. πŸ™

You’re welcome my friend

A true masterpiece, Lamittan! You brilliantly captured the fear and pain of the horrific events that took place. Bravo! ❀️

1. I’m glad i did and that you enjoyed, my friend Eugi. Those were very unfortunate times in the history of mankind. Thank you so much for your reflection 🌺❀

My pleasure.❀️

2. πŸ’–πŸŒΊπŸ’–

❀️

15. Collins hope says:

Well expressed broth

1. Thank you, Collins. Glad to see you in. 😊

How relatable and striking these word images are! I love the photo you use too, as a reinforcement of emotion.

1. Thank you, Jaya dear. It’s absolute happiness to me that you love it. ❀

17. michnavs says:

I love your narrative here Lamittan and how each lines pierces my heart…this is brilliant.

1. Aw, Mich my friend, your words touch my heart with great warmth and inspiration. Glad to know that you loved this, and that in some way it touched you. Thanks bountifully, dear. πŸ’–πŸŒΊπŸ’–

18. Such a poignant piece, evoking the pain and fears of those dreadful days of the pandemic. This was so incredibly well written, Lamittan!

1. Indeed those were horrific times. Aw Shruthi… words alone can’t put into picture how glad and grateful I am for your support and review of my works. Your comments have a soft spot in my heart, dear. Thank you. ❀

1. Aww..you’re welcome, Lamittan! πŸ’–

2. πŸ˜ŠπŸ’–πŸŒΊ

19. Thank you, for putting words to some emotions I had in 2020.

1. Oooh, dear. I’m so sorry for what you faced πŸ˜”. It was a bitter world for many of us. May peace be your portion this year, yours and your family’s.