I Dream

I stand by myself,
beside myself,
torn apart by myriads of trials
and tones of sufferings,
yet I dream.

Like a wrecked ship
hit inimically by the waves,
out of use to its makers,
so am I,
yet I dream.

Seated calmly at the shore,
I look into the warry sea
and brave myself for the times,
saying:
It’s not over until I’m completely crushed down,
till my parts are used to roast fish;
and even when my parts will be used to roast fish,
I’ll still twist in the fire,
So, m’hmm…
I dream.

Like a ramshackle car,
left out in the rain,
bespattered and snowed upon,
so am I,
oh, yet I dream.

I look up the sky
and hear a voice saying loud,
“I’m coming for a ride, boy.”
So i think of myself on the roads again,
bouncing to the park,
just because I dream.

There’s poverty back at home,
there’s sickness,
and an unimaginable amount of pain;
I hear my siblings moaning,
their cry like that of numerous preys
clamped down by predators,
yet I dream.

I deeam of a future better,
I dream of a season riper,
I dream of listening to
the reading of what I write
and matching out of this zoo
to a clear sight;
I dream of the fresh sunlight
hitting my face after twilight,
shining into the darkest parts of my life.

I dream.

(c) 2022 Lamittan Minsah. All rights reserved.

Only a crushed leaf can’t dream of a sunny day after winter.

I’m grateful for having found a family here. I’ve been away on some issues, including my mum’s sickness that has taken me with a lot of worry. She was found with a terrible combination of diseases, namely: malaria, typhoid and arthritis, and has since been on medication. I thank God she’s a bit stable now.

I’ve been stunned by how caring a family I have here. Some came directly to my inbox to check on my welfare, and, holy catfish, I lack enough words to express how much obliged I am for their comfort and love. I love you-all so much and missed you inexplicably.

I also have to say that I’ve really missed reading your posts and will take to your sites one after the other to see for myself all the goodies awaiting there.

And I come back with another sweet news (well, at least it’s good news to me πŸ˜„). πŸ‘‡

“Twilight of Freedom” paperback now available

You can now order a manual copy of my recent play “Twilight of Freedom”. This play covers the following themes, among others: politics, dairy farming, health and sickness, conflict, domestic violence, pain and suffering, classism, sibling rivalry, parenting, freedom, neo-colonialism, governance and change. Check the link below the cover to order a copy.

Click here for kindle and paperback.

Click here for a soft copy direct to your email.

My emails are still open to fellow poets who wish to participate in an upcoming anthology of poems dubbed “Tales of a Tearful World” and another dubbed “The Voice of Kenyan Poets“. Click the highlighted texts to read more. Many thanks to those who have submitted. I will respond to all submissions from June.

1. QueenMary74 says:

This is gorgeous. Really beautiful. Thank you for sharing and I missed you my friend!!! Praying for your Mother. πŸ€—πŸ’š

1. Thank you, dear Mary. I’ll be on your site in a bit. And thanks too for the prayers to my mum. πŸ€—πŸ’–

2. Love the image of the leaves. It speaks volumes.

1. Glad you love the leaves, my dear friend. Speaks quite a lot indeed. Thank you verily. 😊

Such a heartfelt poem dear, brought tears in my eyes and no matter the hardships, struggles or challenges you face I’m glad you still dream and that dream my friend will take you to heights you deserve, as sad as the poem is it is filled with hope for a better day and no matter how dark a room a single light is all it takes to shine and I know you will shine as brightly as the sun, even brighter I can vouch for that. Sending you all the love ❀️❀️❀️❀️
    Yayyyy finally I’ve been waiting so patiently for the paperback can’t wait to get my hands on it. πŸ™‚πŸ’žπŸ’

1. Oooh, i’m touched that you were touched with it, Daph. Glad you enjoyed reading. And oh yes, despite all trials, there’s no giving up in this life. Beyond every sunshine there’s rain. Glad you’re going for the paperback. Always grateful to you for the invaluable support, dearest. πŸ₯°β€β€πŸ₯°

Yes there is no giving up in life, and I’m glad you never did. You my friend are a fighter. I think the paperback is still not available in India, I will patiently wait for it. πŸ™‚ It is always a pleasure dear ❀️❀️❀️❀️

2. Much pleased, dear. Giving up, as always, is a terrible mistake. Thank you. I’ll check to see what the issue is, but I’m pretty sure they’ll update and have it there in no time. Much onliged for your support. ❀❀❀

Indeed it is. Yes I’m sure they’ll probably update in no time. ❀️❀️❀️❀️

4. Yes. πŸ₯°β€β€πŸ₯°

Waiting for that πŸ€—β€οΈ

6. ❀ ❀ ❀

Wishing full recovery to your mom Lamittan. Wonderful news about your book. I loved your poem and it’s message

1. Thank you for the the compliment and prayers, dear Sadje. Glad you loved the poem too.

You’re most welcome

5. Such a beautiful and heartfelt poem, Lamittan. Love it. Hoping your mother feels better very soon. Congratulations on your book! So excited for you! It looks wonderful!πŸ’•

1. Thank you so much, dear. Glad you love the book and wish my mum a quick recovery. I’m hopeful she’ll be fine. πŸ’–πŸ’–

1. Very welcome. πŸ’•πŸ™πŸ’•

How emotional and imagist this poem is! The visuals bloom in my mind with as much enthusiasm as the narrative.

1. I love your review of this poem, Jaya. Truly encouraging. Thank you many times, dear.

7. Lamittan it’s so good to see you again! I’m sorry you and your Mom have been through a rough time! Your poem is wonderful and congratulations on you book projects. Blessings to you and yours.

1. Thank you many times, my friend. Glad you’re here for me. Blessings to you too. πŸ™

My dear friend! Forgive me for not realizing your mother was quite ill; I’m relieved to hear she is receiving excellent care and is improving. You poem is wondrous; without dreams we have little to look forward to. I always tell my granddaughter to dream big, soar high and keep writing. Stay well and be happy, my friend. So good to see you back here. ❣️

1. Thank you many times for such comforting words, dear Nancy. Yes, we should always dream of greater heights. I’m obliged for your continued support and presence here, my dear friend. ❀

A gorgeous poem full of powerful and empowering prose. Many blessings to you, and blessings and healing meditations to your mum, dear Lam. I’m so glad you are back. ❀️❀️

1. Thanks for the compliment and good wishes, dear Jeff. Glad to finally be back too. ❀❀

10. A powerful and poignant poem about not losing hope even when faced with the cruelest of hardships. So beautifully written, Lamittan! I’m so glad to hear that your mom is stable now and I hope she’ll fully recover soon. ❀️

1. What an elevating comment, dear. Indeed it is. Thanks for the good wishes too. ❀❀

1. You’re welcome!

Keep those dreams alive, Lamittan! πŸ™

1. Sure I will. Thank you so much, Ingrid. 🌺

So good to see you again, amigo. I’m happy to learn your mom has stabilized. What a relief that must be for you. You’re a good son for taking care of her in her hour of need. And that poem! It had me captivated like all of your writing does, and it’s so inspiring. The word pictures you paint are so bleak and sorrowful, yet…you still dream of a better tomorrow. You give us all hope with your words, and that’s what this world needs the most right now. Thanks for the update and glad to have you back. Please give your mom my best wishes for a speedy recovery. You’re all in my prayers, my friend. πŸ™‚

1. Oh Mike, thank you so much, my friend. I will pass your warm regards to her. Thanks for the continued moral support and prayers, and for checking on me when I was away. I appreciate knowing you, man. I’m also glad you loved the poem. Indeed, in this world met with sorrow, we still have to dream for better things. Thanks, amigo. πŸ€—

Lamittan, your poem just oozes with heartfelt emotion! So beautifully written my friend and I’m glad to learn your mother’s health is improving. I see your book is Kindle available so I will be purchasing it soon. πŸ’–

1. Thank you so much, dear Eugi. You’ve glistened my face with such a lifting compliment. Yea, mum’s improving and I’m glad for it. I’m also happy that you will be purchasing my book. Forever grateful to you, dear. πŸ’–πŸ’–

My pleasure, Lamittan! ❀️

14. Where would we be without dreams? I pray your mother recovers soon Lamittan! ❀️

1. Deeams are the drivers of living. Thank you, I’m hopeful she’ll be fine. ❀

15. johncoyote says:

Reblogged this on johncoyote and commented:
    Please read the amazing poetry of a talented writer.

1. Much obliged for your kindness, Johnny my friend.

1. johncoyote says:

My pleasure. I hope I can help you sell some books Lamittan.

2. Oh my, I’d be really so glad if you could, John. Been low on sales. Tell me what I should do to make the deal work.

3. johncoyote says:

Keep hustling my friend. Hard work to sell books. Maybe a bookstore can allow you in.

4. Thank you for the encouragement and guidance. πŸ™

5. johncoyote says:

You are welcome Lamittan.

16. johncoyote says:

The book looked wonderful. I wish you great success my friend.

1. Thank you many times, my friend. You’re such an inspiration to me.

1. johncoyote says:

You are a great writer my friend and you are welcome.

2. Thank you, my friend and senior.

3. johncoyote says:

You are welcome Lamittan.

17. Oh my Lam,
    That is absolutely gorgeous and your writing truly validates my feelings that when we are going through such trying times our expression is at its pinnacle and your poem is such an expression of that. I am so sorry your conflicts have been many and I wish I could take away your suffering and your mamss and those you love. It saddens and sickens me. You even managed to make me laugh … “Holy Catfish”.. πŸ˜‚ Book will get in my cart!
    πŸ’– love you so much and take good care! πŸ’–

1. Oh my dear Cindy, you’re the best always. I’m glad this poem spoke to your heart. Sufferings and pains are part of life, and they need not stop us from dreaming. I’m grateful to have you as a friend. From you I draw hope and inspiration. Glad I could put a smile on your face. Holy guacamole! Haha. I’m glad you’re purchasing the book, dear. Thank you so much, always.

1. It was gorgeous and so filled mine with love and compassion for your loving soul so tender. They sure are and you are a dear. I’m happy to hear that and holy catfish you do indeed.. well i just have to have time to push the button but the good button in this case.. welcome always! πŸ’–πŸ’ž

2. Thank you so much, my dear friend. Your kindness and love do touch my heart and give me the inspiration to love and care for others too. And, holy catfish, I’m delighted you’re pushing the good buttons, dear. Blessings and much love to you always. ❀ ⚘

3. a mutual admiration that will never stop but Holy Catfish we must or we’ll never get a thing done. I’ll push your buttons any day… hopefully the right ones,. haπŸ’–πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ’–

4. Glad and hopeful you will. That’s our mutual motivation indeed. πŸ‘ 🌺❀🌺

5. absolutely! Stay well! πŸ’–πŸ’–

6. πŸ’–πŸ’–πŸŒΊ

18. Obong eno says:

Welcome back bro, wanted to say mum will be fine but she’s already fine, nice and powerful poem πŸ’ͺ

1. Oh, thank you so much, my friend. Glad to see you too. Yes, she’s trying and we’re hopeful she’ll be fine in no minute. Thank you. ❀

1. Obong eno says:

Amen πŸ™

19. Congratulations, Lamittan. Your words truly inspire and invoke a deep sense of meaning. Well done, my friend.

1. Thank you, Shobana dear. I’m glad my words spoke to you and you found meaning in them. Obliged for your support, my friend.

20. Beautiful and so touching! Good to know your mom is doing well now…best wishes for her good health. Great news about your book, my friend! ❀️

1. Thank you immensely, dear Punam, for your review on the poem, and for the good wishes. Made me glad. ❀

21. What a beautiful and heartbreaking poem about hope, Lamittan. Your best work, I think, for all the emotion that pours out of it. I’m so sorry to hear that your mum has been ill, and glad to hear she’s a little more stable now. And of course, we hold you in our circle of friendship. I was touched by your words. ❀ ❀

1. Oh dear, ain’t that fond and gratifying of you to say! I’m glad you enjoyed reading this poem. Yes, mum’s now fine. Thanks for your warm words, my friend. Ever so obliged for your support and motivation. 🌺❀❀

1. That’s wonderful news, my friend. I’m so glad to hear that. πŸ˜€

2. Thank you so much, dear. 🌺

22. merrildsmith says:

What would we be without dreams?
    Do you know Langston Hughes’ poem, Dreams?
    “Hold fast to dreams
    For if dreams die
    Life is a broken-winged bird
    That cannot fly.”

I hope your mom is doing better–and that you are well, too!

1. Indeed, life without dreams is death. I sure know the late Langstone, a great American poet indeed. And that poem is full of truth in it.
      Yes, mum and I are currently fine. Thanks for asking, and for this beautiful comment. πŸ’–

23. Lamittan, A gorgeous, but heart-wrenching poem! ❀ I am so sorry for all you are going through. Keep hope alive. I hope your mother continues to improve. Sending healing thoughts her way. ❀ Congratulations on the publication of your book!

1. Thank you many times for your comfort and kind words, Cheryl. I’m happy to have such a wonderful friend in you, dear. Mum’s now fine and I’m happy 😊 🌺❀🌺

24. Jules says:

I am so very glad for your Mother’s recovery.
    And wishing you much success on your book!

I didn’t know about your anthologies… so I will have to look at those links. πŸ˜€

1. Thank you, my good friend. You’re a great inspiration to me. Thanks for the good wishes too. Glad you’ll check out about the anthologies. πŸ˜€

1. Jules says:

While I can only participate in the one… I am happy to do so. May they both do well. πŸ™‚

2. Indeed. Thanks for the good wishes, dear. I’m hopeful they will.

3. Jules says:

πŸ™‚

25. Jules says:

Ah… the deadline approaches too quickly, perhaps?
    Could not the poem be in the body of the email?
    And do you accept poets who use a nom-de-plume?
    If not this one, perhaps the next… πŸ™‚

1. Yes, pseudonyms are much welcome too. Thanks for showing interest. I’ll stretch the deadline a bit. So you still can submit anyway if you’d love to join us in this journey. πŸ™‚

1. Jules says:

Oh – thank you I was looking for this reply.
        Today was kind of a wash… very hot here for us. Feels like 94. But I’ve copied the info and will try and get something to you soon.

Again, thank you. ~πŸ’–

2. Glad to hear so, my friend. You’re most welcome. Always. It’s warm here too, but I’m sure it’s gonna rain late this evening, just like the other days. πŸ’–

3. Jules says:

We are expecting rain today… but none yet…

4. The weather is almost unpredictable these days in many places around the world. It’s unlike some two decades ago when there was predictable trend in whether and seasonal changes.

5. Jules says:

Go back far enough and the weather patterns will repeat themselves. The Bearing Straight was once an ice bridge big and strong enough for people to cross!

When I lived in Indiana, Indiana we had a horrid year for a drought about forty years ago. We don’t have a drought here yet… thankfully.

6. Whoa, that must have been a horrifying drought. I can only imagine. I thought these days were any different πŸ˜„

7. Jules says:

Everything seems different when compared to something else πŸ˜€

8. Yes, I can’t agree more.

9. Jules says:

I am not very adept at comptuer tech. I think I followed your instructions to the best of my ablity. I even figured out how to send the document… But I’m not sure if I got the font the correct size because I didn’t have the option you requested. I just sent it so it would be ‘on time’ πŸ˜‰

Thank you.

10. Oh, no problem. I just saw your submission. I’ll go through and respond in due time. No big deal with the typography, We’ll ‘sync’ all accepted poems in line with in-house style. Thank you.

11. Jules says:

I’m not used to writing with so much line space. Change the type as you need. If you have any questions – please ask.
        And again, Thank you!

12. It’s okay, my friend. In case of any question, i’ll email you. You’re most welcome.

13. Jules says:

πŸ˜€

26. KK says:

What a beautiful, dreamy poem! Enjoyed it πŸ˜ŠπŸ’–

1. Oh, so kind of you to say, my friend. Glad you enjoyed the dream. πŸ’–πŸŒΊπŸ’–

1. KK says:

It’s truly my pleasure πŸ’–

2. πŸ™πŸ’–πŸ’–πŸ’

27. Prayers that your mom will get well soon!

1. Thank you many times, my dear friend. She’s moving on well. 🌺

28. michnavs says:

This is a gorgeous poem Lamittan..and oh, your book is on my “to read” list now..

1. Wow, Mich. Glad it is, dear. That gives me some happiness. Thank you.