The Roaming Old Man

In my village, there was once an old man who loved to greet people, everyone including strangers. He also loved to roam about the village seeking to know about people’s welfare. Some people thought he was a bit nuts while others thought he was just being nosy.

One day, a terror group arrived at the village and wanted to rob the chief. The old man was the first to meet them, and from the look on their faces, he knew they were not good people. So he employed his gimmicks.

“Good morning, sons?” he greeted.

“Morning, grandpa,” replied one of them, evidently the youngest. “What are you doing out here all alone?”

“You know, I was going to ask you the same, but… well, you’re grown ups and it’s already daytime. What time is it, by the way?”

“Let’s go. Leave the effing old thing alone,” warned the eldest of them.

“No. He can help us locate the place,” replied the young man.

“Yes I can. Are my sons lost? Well, I’m the eldest in this village and you can bet I know everyone.”

“Okay,” replied another, moving closer. “Show us the route to the chief’s home. We have glad tidings to deliver.”

“Okay. But, don’t you think it’d have been wiser if you first introduced yourself to me? I’m not going to refuse to show you,” answered the old man.

“Show us the place, you thickhead,” boomed the eldest. He then drew out a knife from his pocket and moved closer. “We have no time to waste. Show us the route to the place or else I’ll slay you with this knife.”

“Oh, okay… no need to fret, my son. I’ll simply show you,” replied the old man, hit with fear. He showed them the direction and they left.

Afterward, he left hurriedly to the chief’s home and found him taking tea.

The chief did not like the old man and would not allow him into his house. He therefore met him at the doorsteps and asked, “What brings you to my house this morning?”

“I come in peace, my chief,” replied the old man. “I’ve met some rough-looking boys out there who wanted to see you. I knew they were up to something knavish and so I gave them the longest direction to this place. You need to prepare your crew, they’ll be here any moment soon, probably to rob you.”

The chief looked at him with a great measure of doubt and replied, “Thieves steal at night.”

“I was thinking, perhaps they want to surprise you.”

“Look, I don’t like you. You’re so naughty and full of sorts, wicked in fact. You are old and know nobody and nothing in this village. Leave my home.” He then turned and walked back to the house.

The old man felt sorry for himself, for wasting his energy to help an ungrateful chief. Why did everyone in the village think he was crazy? He wondered. He turned and was just about to leave when he saw the gang entering the chief’s gate. He quickly walked up to the back of the house and hid in a thicket. From his hideout, he watched with bated breath as the gang stormed the house, and then heard screams and hollers as they descended on the chief’s family with beatings. He stood up and walked away. “If only he’d listen to me,” he told himself and took a safe route back home.

⚘⚘⚘

Click here to get a copy.

1. DAP says:

Riveting story! ❤

1. Thank you many times, DAP. Glad you enjoyed reading.

2. mentalnotes1 says:

I love your huge images, he has such a sweet face, I love the elderly, we will all one day become seasoned. Sometimes God will allow us to see the karma unfold right before our eyes. Great story you have here Lamittan ❤

1. Thank you so much for this wonderful comment. Such a great lesson to us indeed. I’m obliged for your support. ❤

2. Wonderful and touching story, Lamittan. Truly enjoyed.💕🙏💕

1. Glad you did, Grace. Feel most welcome 💖

1. 💕🙏💕

3. Wic says:

Everyone has a story to tell and should be heard. Nice reminder. Good principle.

1. That’s right. Thank you many times, Wic. I’m glad you enjoyed the story my friend.

4. Chris Hall says:

Great story, Lamittan, a reminder to listen to our kindly elders!

1. Indeed, Chris. You got my idea behind the story. Thank you 😊

1. Chris Hall says:

He’s a little like someone I once knew.

2. Wow, glad you could relate. The person had similar characters?

3. Chris Hall says:

Well, he was always interested in what other people were up to, always ready with advice, and always looking out for his friends and neighbours…

4. That is a great example of a good-natured kindhearted person. I’m glad the world has such. That’s as it should be.

A good moral lesson.

1. Thank you, Sadje.

You’re welcome

6. Lamittan ~ this is fantastically enjoyable writing.

1. Glad you enjoyed, David. Thank you ❤

7. Great story telling, Lamittan and also a reminder to not let prejudice cloud our judgement.

1. Thank you so much, my friend. Yes, the learning is true and what it is for sure.

Ah, the wisdom of the ages! Love it in this fable-like tale about good sense. ❤

1. Yes, that’s absolutely what it is. I’m happy you enjoyed and loved this, my friend. Thank you so much.❤

9. Jules says:

Sometimes rudeness gets its own reward. I watch one of my mystery shows where an aged Mrs. Marple helps to solve a crime. The town’s police cheif doesn’t like her meddling. But of course in the end… she solves three murders!

1. Wow, that’s how it often goes. Rudeness has no reward and old age is wisdom. Glad Mrs Marple too was able to show them that sense.

10. They don’t listen, do they? Sometimes, they base their perceptions on looks. How wrong they can be.

1. That’s it, and that’s how and where they go wrong. Glad you’re able to grasp the sense in it. Thanks a bunch.

11. wow Lam what a great story with wisdom shared never to judge a book by it’s cover. I would love to know what happened to this chief and if he is alive to talk about it. Awesome moral of the story and good job keep us engaged and riveted ! 💖💖👏

1. Thank you so much, my friend. The chief survived the attack with severe injuries, a broken arm and some terrible scars, and of course they were robbed. Some of his family died as a result of uncontrolled bleeding while some survived. The robbers have never neen found. What a shame to the chief for ignoring the old man’s advice! Thanks for reading and writing such a noble comment.

1. oh my, this may need a 3rd sequel mi amigo.. This only makes me want to hire a detective and find the men and give the pore old man a reward. It’s a pleasure to read you my amazing story telling friend! 💖👏👏

2. Yes, the old man deserved a reward. Poor thing, he died in 2019. Pleased by your gratifying comments too, dear. 👏💖💖

3. send it to me instead! 😂😂😘

4. Holy catfish, he’s irreplaceable, haha. 🤣🤣🤣 but you stand on a higher ground close to him, morally i mean. 💖🌺

5. 😂😂😂💖💖💖 I was related.. i forgot to tell you.. ha!

6. Hahaha… then you get half the reward after a DNA test 😆😂😂

7. Oh no.. i will be in hot water!! I need it now.. a loaner. 😂

8. 😃🤣🤣🤣 You’re splitting my side.

9. and you.. busting my chops 💖😂😂😂

10. Cor! That’s lightin’, yo bustin’ my b*lls, pard’n my french 😆😂😂😂. Good morn from my side. 🌺

11. god how i love you 💖😂😂😜

Not a very pleasant tale, is it. I guess the chief got what he deserved for being so nasty to the old man. I enjoy your stories very much and love the way you can spin a tale. 🌟

1. Thank you so much, my friend Nancy. And of course, I also draw inspiration from your marvelous writing. You’re the best when it comes to flash fiction. I’m glad you enjoyed this. The chief earned his “fortune”.

Ah, a tale of how much little we really know of the knowable, and the importance of council, even from those we are unsure about. Awesome write, dear Lam. 💞💞

1. You got that right, dear Jeff. Indeed, we should always learn to take and appreciate counsel. Thank you for reading and writing such a noteworthy comment. 💖💖💖

Agreed. You’re most welcome, dear Lamittan. It’s always my pleasure. 💖💖

2. 💖💖🌺

This is a story with such a great moral, you are a brilliant story teller my friend. Honestly I’d like to say the chief got what he deserved although it is sad his family has to go through it. What happened after that? Did they finally treat the old man the way he deserves to be treated? 🤔

1. Thanks for your wonderful compliment. The chief survived with some severe injuries including a broken arm. Some of his family members die and the robbers escaped and were never found. The old man died some time later in 2019. Everyone who heard the story honoured him henceforth and took his greetings serious. They’d now even give him something to eat when he came into their homes. But there was no bigger much-celebrated reward than that. He died a happy man.

Never ignore the words of the old they say, they’ve lived much longer than us and though at times they may irrate you they are pure souls who only wants best for you. I am really glad to know he died a happy man, bless his kind soul. ♥️

2. You’re right about that. Though not all of them have contrite souls. Others are wicked and full of no good jealousy. They’d even wish a family’s only breadwinner turn mad and beg on the streets. Such are there in my village too and live even longer practicing sourcery and witchcraft. But still when it comes to giving advice, they are all good. ❤

It is true that such people do exist, taking of witch craft I had a roomate an older women who was my coleague she used to practice witchcraft damn scary.

4. Ooh no! And you lived in the same room, I’d be damn freaked out if I were you. It’d be either i leave her the room or kick her out, and I mean terribly kick her out 🤣🤣. Living with such a peace menace is unsafe i bet

I didn’t realize it until some incidents came to light, she always acts weird at night but I never gave it much thought, the moment I knew I shifted out 😂

6. Glad you did leave. That was danm so scary indeed. Was a matter of putting your life on the line.

Oh it was, got terrified for days, we use to hide from her but couldn’t exactly ignore since we were colleagues.

8. Makes sense, the world brooks them and so must we at times. ✅🌺

Yeah we must 🌸

10. Of course. 💖

🤗❤️💌💌

A good lesson to heed, Lamittan! Your storytelling is marvelous! ❤️

1. Thank you so much, Eugi my friend. I’m glad that you do enjoy my storytelling.

16. A hard lesson for the chief to learn, Lamittan. He should have listened to the wisdom of the old man. A great cautionary tale.

1. I agree. He should have listened. Thanks, dear, for reading and writing such a wonderfully reflective comment.

17. Oh if only he’d listened to the old man! What a grim moral story with its captivation enhanced by your wonderful storytelling!

1. I’m glad it does, my friend. Sure he should have listened. A tough lesson. Thanks for such a noble compliment.

1. My pleasure, Lamittan!

18. With age comes wisdom! I guess the Chief need more wisdom like the old man. God gave us two ears and one mouth for a reason. What a wonderful story Lamittan!

1. Wow, Diane, that wraps it up well. Exactly what the chief should have done and what we too should do. Thanks for reading and commenting my friend. ❤❤🌺

19. KK says:

Loved the storyline and your way of telling the story. Good one 👌💐

1. Thank you many times, my friend. I’m happy you love it and have written such an elevating compliment.

1. KK says:

You’re welcome, always 😊

2. 🙏🌺💖🌺🙏

20. Obong eno says:

It’s time I take these old people serious o🥰

Nice story Lami

1. Yes, we all should. Thank you for these kind words, dear.

1. Obong eno says: