Anthology Update and Story-telling Time.

Hello, dearest friend. Hope you’re doing well, or at least pretty fine, as I often say. The week’s rolling on well on my side and, oh my bone-idle self, it’s been to me a month of Sundays since I last checked in at Laminsa Indies to wtite something. Anyone who has interracted with me on WordPress knows I love reading more than writing, but that doesn’t make me tired of writing πŸ˜€. I have a story to share with you, but afore that comes an update on one of our upcoming anthologies.

Tales of a Tearful World: Narrative Poems

The deadline for submissions has now been extended to June 15, 2022 upon requests by writers who pledged for more time to submit. Scheduled to go public in early September, this anthology will be composed of narrative poems that tackle pain and suffering as the main themes, among others.

For submission guidelines and email, kindly click here. We’ve received and started assessing submissions from a number of authors and will send responses between June 15 – 30.

All interested poets are welcome to join us in this journey.

Cow Worth Sermons

Jerry left his churchmates in the middle of a thrilling sermon to return home and salvage something that kept harryng him. He would not concentrate on the preacher’s words however much he tried to. The sky was pregnant with dark nimbus clouds, yet out in the field were his only cow and its calf.

He was the church’s chorister and had such a euphonious voice that could awaken sleeping seraphims, yet his ego and longing to grow rich would not allow him to render his services when they were highly-needed. He kept telling his fellow singers that he was irreplaceable and much-needed for the choir to function properly.

Though he was indigent, he had this one cow that he believed would give birth to several other calves, and that he would raise and sell some of them to educate his kids and put food on the table. So, often, he spent time feeding the two animals and using them as a scapegoat for not being able to attend prayer meetings and choir practices on time.

When he had sprinted forth nearly a kilometre away from the church, thunder roared and suddenly it began to pour down heavily. He had no choice but to shield himself in a stranger’s abode. Two hours later, the rain subsided a bit and so he thanked the owner of the house and left for home.

Just a few metres from home, he saw people gathered on the field stretching in front of his home, around the place he had tied his cow, and wondered what they were up to. His heart jumped and started pulsating abnormally.

It was then that his six-year old son saw him from a distance and ran to him nearly breaking a knee. “Daddy! Daddy!” shouted the boy, drawing nigh.

“Yes Teddy, what is it that you come..,” Jerry began but the kid, seeming to burn with information, cut him off.

“Our cow has been struck by lightning. The calf escaped to…”

The remaining words waned off Jerry’s ears as he fell onto the thick earth afaint. How could God take away his only source of hope?

πŸ’πŸ’πŸ’

Do you think what happened to Jerry was poetic justice, and was it worth blaming God or just possibly a natural occurrence?

Aww, hard luck. But perhaps it’ll teach him a lesson.

1. Indeed. I’m glad you see it this way, my dear friend. Thank you. ❀

My pleasure

If there is anyone to blame than it is him only as it is him who got over his head and of course a very terrible luck and heaps of pride. Sometimes in life when we get too much of ourselves we stumble somewhere along the line to teach us that we are only human. I love what you’ve done with this story. ❀️❀️❀️

1. Oh Daph, so thrilled to see you over here with your beautiful gratifying comments. I concur with your opinion on this, dear. When we develop pride, our fall is inevitable βœ…πŸ’–πŸŒΊπŸ’–β€

Thrilled to here Lam, and you’re very much welcome. Yes fall is inevitable but that’s not any punishment it is a lesson and a reminder to stay humble. ❀️❀️❀️❀️

3. Jules says:

Attitude has much to play as we make our own way. We cannot expect miricales if we cannot offer up our own hands to help those in need. One can only hope his calf was found and that he learns to be less full of himself.

I belonged to a choir for many years. Never the perfect alto… but after awhile there was no joy for me.

1. Yes, you’ve spoken right about this, my dear friend. We should be generous and kind if we do expect kindness and generosity back to us too. I agree.

About the your choir, I’m a bit on edge, why wasn’t there any joy for you after awhile? What transpired?

1. Jules says:

The folks incharge… wanted it more professional. I, not really being able to read music… so political. As with most organizations.

But between the two I belonged to I sang for about 17 years. That was enough. πŸ˜‰

Now I just sing for myself. πŸ˜€

2. Haha… now you sing for yourself! πŸ˜„. Actually, that’s the problem with most choir leaders, being inflexible and unwilling to incorporate other people’s views. No wonder you left. I’d just leave too πŸ˜€

3. Jules says:

πŸ™‚

4. Bad luck for Jerry, Lamittan. If there is a god, I hope she isn’t that cruel. And best of luck on the anthology!

1. Thank you, dear. I hope she isn’t that cruel too. Haha. Oh, your comments impart joy in my heart. πŸ’–

1. Glad I made you laugh, Lamittan. πŸ˜€

5. Congratulations on the anthology, Lamittan. It sounds fabulous, so exciting. Wonderful story. I think it was poetic justice,serving as a lesson for him.πŸ’•πŸ™πŸ’•

1. Thank you many times, Grace. Yes, poetic justice it was and I think so too. πŸ’–πŸ™πŸ’–

1. My pleasure πŸ’•

6. I don’t think god sets about to teach lessons. I would say it was a bit of a misfortune.
    Best wishes for the anthology, Lamittan.

1. Oh, i think that sounds a pretty logical and mature reasoning. Does s/he anyway? Thank you so much, my dear friend πŸ’–

What a story! The cow being struck by lightening is as hilarious as it is unexpected; something about the sincerity of the lines coupled with the picture your words conjure to mind certainly make me nod my head. πŸ™‚

1. Certainly unexpected indeed. Thank you, my dearest friend Jaya, for always reading and writing such wonderful compliments. 😊 🌺

8. I think Jerry was poor and trying to protect something he valued very much. If there is a lesson to be learned, it is that he should have trusted more in God and not been so attached to earthly things, no matter how poor.

1. I agree with your sentiments, dear Dawn. Sometimes what God demands on us is a little faith in him, that he is able to provide for us. And yes, Jerry was just trying to protect what he loved and owned which was okay too to a great extent. Too sad he lost it 😌. But glad the calf survived. Maybe he’d rare it and gain more.

9. No God is not to blame, the cow was very sick and the milk from it and meat would have made the family very sick also. So it was God’s mercy that the cow was taken.

1. Yes. Perhaps it was sick, I guess, and God was extending his mercies πŸ˜…. Thank you many times, my dear friend. What a broad way to see it!

Good luck with the anthology, dear Lam. I know it will be grand. A lovely write too, my dear friend. I always delight in reading you. ❀️❀️

Good luck with the anthology, Lamittan. I think Jerry was more into gain than to protect. Life lessons, whether good or bad, happen for a reason. I don’t feel God teaches us lessons but guides us through our faith in him.

Nice to hear you’re making an anthology, Lamittan! Be prepared for some hard work πŸ˜…

13. Wish you the best with the anthology, Lamittan. I think everything happens for a reason and only at the right time, will one realize why it happened the way it did. The Why of it can be a bitter pill to take. Have a nice day.

Got to think of it as another bump in the road. We’ve had many and will have many more but we’re still going. If you are not familiar with the song ‘High Hopes” here it is for you to enjoy! https://youtu.be/A_HvBDorpzE 🌴 🐜

15. love this line Lam;
    “The sky was pregnant with dark nimbus clouds, yet out in the field were his only cow and its calf.”
    Oh Jerry is up to his eye balls it sounds.
    I know the anthology will be great!! πŸŒΉπŸŒΉπŸ’–

16. Hopefully he learned a lesson!